Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Explorer icon on the desktop  (Read 5082 times)

etelaresani

Internet Explorer icon on the desktop
« on: August 24, 2004, 12:22:54 AM »
I deleted the Internet Explorer icon from my XP desktop. I thought I could restore it by going to "Display Properties/Desktop/Customize Desktop" and then putting a check back in the "Internet Explorer" box.
But this does not work.

I know I could create a new shortcut, but doing so does not have the same properties as the one that is comes by default with XP
i did the following but i dont  rise:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{871C538 0-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}\ShellFolder
my emai: [email protected]
and change the value attributes on the right pane to 24 (24 HEX = 36 DEC)
e.g.
Attributes=dword:00000024
press F5 to refresh the desktop and it will appear again.

If still no joy, do a search in the registry for NoInternetIcon and make sure the value is 0(zero)

edit
Come to think about it, you can always download xteq, does the same and much more.
/edit
please help me
 thank-you

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Internet Explorer icon on the desktop
    « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 01:39:17 AM »
    etelaresani....I really dont completely understand what you are doing in the registry if all you did was remove the IE icon from the desktop.....click start ....All programs....scroll up to internet explorer....right click and select send to ......now select desktop (create shortcut)
    Now its back......
    Just a tip ... I would stay out of the registry unless you know exactly what your doing in there ......a few wrong keystrokes and you could have a lot more trouble than a missing icon.

Hope this helps,
    dl65  ???
    « Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 01:39:44 AM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.