Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound driver shot  (Read 11780 times)

kuwoobie

Sound driver shot
« on: August 24, 2004, 03:52:02 PM »
Meow... my computer has gone dumb.  It can't make sounds anymore.  For some reason, the little speaker that is normally on the toolbar on the bottom of the screen is gone and won't come back.  This happened after I plugged a joystick into my sound card...so I figured that was the problem.  But after I removed the joystick the sound is still gone.  I'm guessing I may have also accidentally deleted the driver at some point.  I tried going to the site (soundblaster.com) to download a new one but they only have updates for currently existing drivers and no actual drivers.  I'm not even sure if that's even the problem.  I opened my computer to check if my sound card was loose and it is not.  No damage either.  

I can't figure out what the problem is~!  ...meow

~ kuwoobie

(Sylph server RDM extrodanaire!)

Raptor

Re: Sound driver shot
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 04:27:16 AM »
The updates usually contain all the necessary files. You donot require a previous version.

As for the Joystick, I believe you have to turn off the computer before connecting any periphals that are not USB, you may damage your ports.

kuwoobie

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 12:36:21 PM »
 :'(  I've tried everything I can think of and still my sound will not work.  My computer says that all my sound hardware is working properly and all drivers are in place but it still won't work.  I opened my box and saw no damage or anything on the sound card.  Don't know what to do...  It's been a long time... no sound... it's like I've gone deff!

2k dummy

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 01:22:12 PM »
Search for a file called starter.exe and launch it. It is a SB file that launches the mixer for SB. From that you should be able to make any necessary adjustments to volumn, etc.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 02:16:20 PM »
Are you certain you connected the speakers properly?