Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Death of Windows 98/Me?  (Read 4091 times)

pcdoc4christ

Death of Windows 98/Me?
« on: April 17, 2006, 04:48:02 PM »
You've probably already heard the news that Microsoft is ending support for both OSes in July:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=http%3a%2f%2fwww.support.microsoft.com%2f%3fscid%3dph%3ben-us%3b1139

:'(

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: Death of Windows 98/Me?
    « Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 05:11:41 PM »
    Well, I don't blame them for not supporting WinME anymore - that OS gave me more BSODs than I can count! I hated WinME with a passion and still do. 98, however, was a fairly stable OS, even if -- ah -- feature-istically challenged?
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 05:58:56 PM »
    Windows ME never should have been created to begin with. I guess old Bill finally realized that it's the kiss of death to a good computing experience.  ::)

Flame

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 02:35:02 AM »
    Microsoft is retiring support for these products because they are outdated and can expose customers to security risks.

Ha.  Anyone smell cynical marketing crud?  MS wants to force people off Win98 and onto XP+.  That's all very well and good for us in the affluent West, but what about folks in developing countries on low-spec hardware?  I rather think that they will be forced to turn to Linux.  Congratulations, Microsoft!  >:(
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

JohnK

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 01:45:16 PM »
    They say:
    We recommend that customers who are still running Windows 98 or Windows Me upgrade to a newer, more secure Microsoft operating system...

And what would that be?   [smiley=laugh.gif]
    I could upgrade to XP but that's just too expensive.  But maybe they just could've dropped support for ME... Oh well. I never went to M$ for support anyway.

-John