Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Verifying DMI Pool Data After Partition Copy  (Read 2982 times)

jvrinc

Verifying DMI Pool Data After Partition Copy
« on: May 02, 2006, 11:44:14 AM »
I have a failing boot disk in a Windows XP machine with 2 drives on IDE channel 1. The master of the two is failing, so I used Partition Magic 8.0 to copy all of the partitions to a new drive that was installed as a slave to the failing master. My goal was to remove the failing master, configure the new drive with copied partitions as the master, and boot from it. Doing so gets me the Verifying DMI Pool Data error.

The new drive has a primary partition, set active, and it's label is C:. The other partitions have the letters they had on the failing drive. I relabeled the partitions on the failing drive to other letters. I have not converted the former C: primary partition to a logical partition, I'm afraid I will not be able to boot the machine at all if I do this.

I have entered CMOS and made sure the master is configured correctly and I know I have the jumpers set right too. The only way I can boot the machine is if the original master is installed. At boot up time, I get a selection menu that allows me to choose the OS. Since the original master and the copied drive both have a primary partition, Windows XP is on both. I can boot to either as long as the original master is in place. Without it, I cannot get past the Verifying DMI Pool Data message.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!!

ITTechnician

Re: Verifying DMI Pool Data After Partition Copy
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 02:08:30 PM »
Alright this is long and scary but you should get back and running OKKK

first

This issue can be caused by any of the below reasons.

Corrupt boot files on the computer.
Settings for hard disk drive are not correct.
Floppy diskette or CD in computer causing issue.
Boot devices not set properly.
BIOS corrupt or misc. setting not set properly.
Connections loose or disconnected.
Bad Hard disk drive or other bad hardware

To resolve this issue:

Boot from a bootable floppy diskette. Ensure that this diskette was made on the same Microsoft Windows operating system that is installed on your computer.
Once at the A:\> prompt type "sys c:" and press enter. This should report the message "File system transferred". Once transferred remove the diskette and reboot the computer.
If the computer continues to not boot attempt to re-create the master boot record by booting from the bootable floppy diskette again. Once at the A:\> prompt type "fdisk /mbr" and press enter. This should return you to the prompt without giving you any message. Once at the prompt remove the diskette and reboot the computer.

NEXT if above dont work

The computer freezing at "verifying dmi pool data..". may be caused when the hard disk drive settings within CMOS are not set properly. Enter CMOS and verify that the hard disk drive settings are set properly and/or that it is set to Auto Detect.

NEXT if above dont work

Verify no floppy diskette or CD is in the computer. In some cases the computer may be trying to boot from either of these drives causing issues with the boot sequence.

NEXT

Boot devices not set properly

The computer stopping at " verifying dmi pool data..." can be caused when the boot devices on your computer are not set properly in CMOS. First, verify that no CD or diskette is in your computer. If a CD or diskette is in the computer attempt to remove this first to determine if it was attempting to boot from it.

If No CD or diskette is in the computer and your computer still halts at the DMI message enter CMOS and verify that the boot options are set properly. We commonly recommend that the floppy be set the first boot device, hard drive as the second boot device and the CD-ROM as the third boot device.

NEXT

If none of the above recommendations have resolved your issue attempt to reset the BIOS / CMOS settings to the factory or default settings.

NEXT

If the computer has been recently moved or new hardware has been installed in the computer it is possible that a connection may be loose or even disconnected. Verify that the hard disk drive, floppy and CD-ROM cables are properly connected.

NEXT

Bad hard disk drive or other bad hardware

If you computer continues to freeze at the DMI message after attempting all of the above recommendations it is possible that the computer may be freezing because of a bad hard disk drive or other bad hardware in the computer.

Before replacing any hardware we first recommend you attempt to fdisk, delete the partition, re-create the partition and reinstall your computer operating system.

There you go this should get you back up and running if your HD is not faulty

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 07:13:34 PM »
All of that OR just copy your data to the good drive. Replace the bad hard drive, reinstall Windows and your programs and copy your data back. You could invest $30 in Drive Image and make a drive image to make it even easier, if the failing drive will do that. In any case, this is a better way to avoid surprises and get that bad drive out of there safely and easily.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 07:18:07 PM by GX1_Man »

tucker42

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 07:37:02 PM »
IT Technician you have me worried for the other newbies here. You have come out of nowhere, proclaim yourself as Technician of the Year, and post inaccurate answers to questions and problems. Some of your responses indicate you are pretty young as well.
http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1146604189/1#1
What's the real story?  :-?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 07:37:37 PM by tucker42 »

ITTechnician

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 07:35:09 AM »
i am young well only 20