Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Networking between XP  (Read 4543 times)

iwalkathinline

Networking between XP
« on: May 03, 2006, 02:53:14 PM »
I'm fairly new to networking & have just set up a network with a Linksys Router... Right now there's 1 desktop computer running XP Professional connected by an ethernet cable, & 2 laptops both connected via wireless card... 1 of the laptops is running Windows 2000 Professional & the other has XP Home.  I've succeeded in getting the desktop & 1 of the laptops online.  For some reason the signal comes & goes on the other laptop.  Anyone who could maybe help me figure out why I can't get a steady signal would be greatly appreciated.

My real problem is this - I can't figure out how to access files on other computers over the network.  I've turned on File & Printer Sharing on the desktop & when I go to My Network Places on the Win. 2000 laptop, I can see the desktop computer & my laptop.  When I click on the desktop (LIVINGROOM) I see Printer, Printer2, SharedDocs, & Printers.  I'll click on SharedDocs & it says:

\\LivingRoom\SharedDocs is not accessible
Access is denied.

There's a big red X to the left of the error message... can someone help me figure what the problem is?  I suspect that it's not configured right somewhere, but I don't have any idea where that might be.  I appreciate any help that I can get!

tc_pole_vaulter

Beginner
  • School Sucks
    Re: Networking between XP
    « Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 12:55:31 PM »
    Alot of people seem to have this problem. We tryed doing it also, got the same thing. Search Computer Hope for "Home Networking" is has some information.

tc_pole_vaulter

Beginner
    • School Sucks
      Re: Networking between XP
      « Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 08:33:53 PM »
      This is what i just did this afternoon.
      • Go to each computer and go to control panel
      • Now click "Network and internet connections" or something to that effect. Im not familer with Windows 2000.
      • Go to network connections. For the two wireless laptops right click the icon "wireless network connection" and go to properties. You want to verify that you have TCP/IP and IPX/SPX protocols installed on your computer. If neither of these are on there go to install or add and choose the protocols the I specified. Do the same thing to your desktop computer, but you want to choose "Local Area Connection" instead off the "Wireless Network Connection"
      • Once this is done all the computers, go to which ever computer you want and create a new network with the network wizard. Once done with the network wizard reboot the computer, now go to the other remaining computers and do exactly the same thing, set up a new network. Make sure that the work group is the same for each one. Remember to reboot after finishing the wizard. Now your network should be set up, its just a matter of setting up a folder to share the files.
      Once you get this done tell me. :)