Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98 Freezes!!!  (Read 4281 times)

dickandsarah

Windows 98 Freezes!!!
« on: May 04, 2006, 09:49:04 AM »
Hi. I was here about a month ago with a problem with a Dell.  Now I am having issues with an old Gateway.  It had 98 SE in it and it wouldn't stay running.  I dumped the computer and started over.  I didn't have the 98 disc so I got it from a friend along with the key.  Everything installed fine and I puttered on it for about an hour.  The next day, (yesterday) it gets as far as the Windows 98 loading screen and freezes.  I can start it in safe mode and do some stuff, but then I restart in normal mode and it freezes at the start up screen again.  I looked through the "Help" files on here, but didn't see anything...If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.  I want to just go buy a cheapy at Wal Mart, but my fiance say no for now....In the mean time I can't get my paperwork done!!!! (I work at his shop)....Thank you so much :)

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Windows 98 Freezes!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 09:54:20 AM »
When you say dumped do you mean you reformated your computer first then reinstalled it or just reinstall Windows 98 on top of the old one in hopes of just copying some files that you believe were corrupted.

Anyways since the computer is blank just erase and start over again. Also note the computer is a Gateway so I do not know if they gave you a recovery CD with gateway drivers and gateway software. If the computer is stuck frozen on the Windows 98 screen loading that could just mean that something wasnt installed properrly.

If the reerasing and reinstalling doesnt help can i get the system specs on the computer?

dickandsarah

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 10:10:02 AM »
I completely erased the computer and started over.  The computer was given to me by my father in law.  I asked for all his disks he got with it.  I dumped it, and he brought me all the disks for HIS current computer...... [smiley=cry.gif]  I don't know how or why people throw stuff like that away....((I have EVERYTHING for my Dell at home.  I even considered using all of it for that Gateway, but that barely has any memory in it now, it's so old)).  Anyway, that's when I had to get the 98 from a friend.  I did have a 95 disk and installed that, then I installed the 98 over that.  It asked if I wanted to keep the 95 stuff in case I needed to uninstall 98---I said no. I am heading back to the shop (home now).  I will write down all the information from that computer and let you know later this afternoon.  The 98 I got wasn't like a regular 98 disk.  It had the folders on it and a SETUP icon.  I had to put the disk in and open the D: folder then double click the setup.  I wasn't sure how to make that work like a regular setup disk.  I know what I am saying here, but when I read it back to myself, it sounds crazy.  Sorry about that.   [smiley=embarassed.gif]

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 07:07:02 PM »
1) Usually those restore disks are keyed to a particular manufacturer and model. They will NOT ever work on a different system.

2) You do not need to install Win95 first, if you are using a Win98 upgrade CD. You just boot with it and insert the Win95 CD (or floppy) when asked to verify ownership.

3) Some versions of 98 will boot and install directly from a CD. Others have to use a bootdisk to start the installation. (free at www.bootdisk.com)