Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Tried to reinstalled windows 98 SE..problem freezi  (Read 5200 times)

cujosmom

Tried to reinstalled windows 98 SE..problem freezi
« on: May 03, 2006, 10:22:02 PM »
I recently reinstalled win 98 se but when it gets to the point where is says setting up your hardware and any plug and play devices it freezes. I have turned it off several times, like it says to do, but each time windows 98 setup starts it's always the same. I have tried other cd and it still will not go past this point. I am very new to all this but I sure could use some help! :( :'(

GX1_Man

Re: Tried to reinstalled windows 98 SE..problem fr
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 04:17:53 AM »
What happened requiring the reinstall? Any other problems with the machine or any specifics about it?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 04:22:45 AM »
And do you happen to have another Win98 installation CD that you can try?  Any exotic hardware installed in the PC?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

cujosmom

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 10:43:18 PM »
I was cleaning up my computer, it was running very slow, so I was doing a clean install. These nothing *censored* on it, its old and slow. I managed to get windows up and running but it tell me in my device manager that I still have problems "USB open host controller - device failure and also my PCI Ethernet controller " driver not installed correctly. I've tried the update but it tell me the driver has been installed????? :-? Like I say it's old...how do I find what driver I need now  :-[ :'(....I really appericate the help  :)/me
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 10:45:05 PM by cujosmom »

cujosmom

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 10:48:21 PM »
I have tied 2 different CD"S and it still kept freezing

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 12:32:45 AM »
These nothing *censored* on it
:o Er...  I said exotic!

You have problems with the drivers for onboard hardware - USB and LAN.  The drivers can probably be found on the web site for your motherboard manufacturer.  What make of PC is it?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 12:33:21 AM by robpomeroy »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

cujosmom

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 11:54:30 AM »
 :-[I meant to say exotic..... :-X

I got the computer from someone else 3 years ago !!!!! There is nothing writen on the outside of the computer, I don't know what the name is.....Am I lost now or can I find out if I remove the tower lid?? The monitor I got last week its a NEC mulitsync M700. I know that doesn't help with the name of my computer, anyway I can find out. I'm getting so discouraged, I've been at this for 2 weeks with no help, until I found you guys.... :)  

[timestamp=1146851610]/me

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 03:46:22 PM »
Downlaod and run Everest and it will tell you everything about that computer:

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 03:51:55 PM »
    Everest won't display *censored* stuff. :D

cujosmom

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 05:12:47 PM »
     ::)  Thanks GX, I will let you know if it solves my problem... :)

thanks for the tip Fed..... ;D :-*. I'm so glad you guys keep a sense of humor :o

cujosmom

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 11:45:52 AM »
    Hi it's me again.. :-[ I ran Everest and it did tell me every thing about my computer. Its' a Intel Pentium...?? I have tried to start windows setup again, but now when I enter my product key for my CD, it tell me it's invalid... :-?
    and it stll freezes at windows setup hardware.  :'(

Maksim

Hopeful
      « Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 10:55:35 AM »
      I had the same problem. It sounds like a Hard Drive problem to me.. Try this Create a Windows 98 Floppy and Set the BIOS to boot the floppy first so it doesnt boot to the harddrive.... and then restart the computer and wait for the floppy to load and then select the optuion that says "Select with CDROM support" or something close to that. and wait untill it is done and then after the says A:/ type in C:/ and press enter and type in format c: and press enter it will ask you are you sure and you press Y it will format the hard drive and then try to reinstall win 98 if that doesnt work then try this.. Take all of the PCI cards out except the video card and try to reinstall win 98 it should work.. and after it is installed turn off the computer and put the cards ONE-BY-ONE and turn on the computer and see if it works and then turn it of and then put the next card in and etc. and see on the one that it fails on and that PCI Card would be the problem..

cujosmom

reinstalled windows 98 SE..
      « Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 06:16:37 PM »
      Thanks Mak....I did what you said and now every things loads great... ;D

But when I connect to the internet, I can only stay online for about 3-4 mins, then I get booted out. I restart my computer and I can connect again for about another 3-4 mins.... :-? I ran a scan and it shows no problems....what the heck is happening NOW >:(...HELP ME PLEASE  [smiley=cry.gif]

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 08:03:05 PM »
      Is that a dialup connection?

cujosmom

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 12:52:40 PM »
      I have high speed internet, it says I have a problem with my USB open host controller. When I start my computer now it says installing new hardware....it searches, then it freezes again. I went in under safe mode and it tells me no USB devices... :-? I am going to download the program from major geeks and see if that can locate it. I'm not sure what I should be doing...am I making things worse? :-[

P.S.
           It windows 98 SE & my system is Intel Pentium MMX, 200MHz