Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wierd setting or Trojan?  (Read 3779 times)

yihkun

Wierd setting or Trojan?
« on: May 05, 2006, 02:57:21 PM »
Since tuesday, my computer has been acting strange.  Whenever I hit the E, U, L, M keys on the keyboard OR on the windows On-Screen Keyboard, it does certain functions which I have never chosen.  Hitting E would bring out the My Computer with folder options, U would bring out the Util Manager, L would bring me to the Windows Log-In screen, and M would minimize the program I am currently in.  It's impossible to type in ANY program without having the binds being used.  Games, chatting, MSWord, WordPad, IE will always have these things appear when I press those certain keys.  When I close the things that appear, the letter is not typed.  I have to type in websites by highlighting letters and pasting them. :'( I have not downloaded anything unsafe and I mostly use my computer for online gaming and AIM chatting.

I have scanned with Ewido, AVG Free, Spybot, CCleaner, and Trend's Internet Housecall with system restore off.  So far, only the Internet Housecall had reported 3 trojans, 2 of which I am sure is now deleted but the troubles are still there with the keys popping out random stuff.  It was working quite nicely on Thursday from 3pm-12am but the things popped out again.  I tried this afternoon to use the Housecall again but it won't load.

So, any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 05:16:33 PM by yihkun »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Wierd setting or Trojan?
    « Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 03:23:38 PM »
     yihkun  ..... You say you removed 2 of the 3 ........ the one you havent removed is whats causing the trouble ..........
    I would be inclined to make sure system restore is off , then reboot into SAFE mode and run Ewido again ....... and then your AVG ...as well ....
    If the trojan is located ....write down exactly where it is .........
    If you are unable to find it ..... D/L  hijackthis and post a logfile here for us to look at ......
    Do you have your file and folder options set to show hidden files and folders ? If you don't please do so .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

yihkun

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 05:18:42 PM »
    Scanned again and found nothing.  Posted hijackthis log into the first post.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 06:18:00 PM »
      yihkun..... Your log reveals several things .......
      You do not appear to be using the most recent version of IE ..........You should update it .
      Also you appear top be using a accelerator program ......... I would be very surprised to hear it actually increswed your D/L speed ...I would be uninstalling it .......

Now then in your hijackthis log ....... Mark for removal the following :

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DeadAIM] rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files\AIM\\DeadAIM.ocm",ExportedCheckODLs    ...... Dont think you really need this ....

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Internet Download Accelerator - {9819CC0E-9669-4D01-9CD7-2C66DA43AC6C} - C:\Program Files\IDA\ida.exe    

O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe (file missing)

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe (file missing)    ..... for some reason this entry is in here twice....... mark both to remove .

Ok , when you have marked them click fix marked .

let us know how things are .

yihkun

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 07:01:09 PM »
      I have uninstalled the download accelerator and have removed the items you have told me.  The keys still go to the things I described in the first post.  However, I have found out that if I hold shift and type the key, it will not have something happen.  That should help me out.  Any more suggestions?  Could this have something to do with keyboard binding in which i can unbind the keys?

And ya, the accelerator program.  It increased my speed by 20% and really organized my downloaded files.  Been using it for 5 months but I uninstalled it like you asked.  And what is the recent version of IE?

Thanks.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 09:53:19 PM »
         yihkun ...... Ok ....if you really think the accelerator is speeding up your system ( which I doubt) ...put it back in ........ but as a test , go to ..... http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/   and do a free speed test ...... one without the accelerator and one with it ...... and see if there is any differance.

The version [highlight](6.00.2900.2096) is out of date. [/highlight] this is what you have installed
        Check Windowsupdate to update the Internet Explorer.

Newest Version is: 6.00.2900.2180

TheCount

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 12:37:06 PM »
        This happened to me several times. In windows 98, whenever I hit E I ran the windows explorer, R would bring up the Run prompt, etc. What happened, at least to me, was that because of some problem, the "windows" key (the one with the windows logo on it) had gotten "stuck", like it was constantly being pressed. Try pressing and letting go each one of your "windows" keys (if you keyboard has them), and see what happens. If not, I'm clueless.

TheCount