Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: graphics programs can't fine TWAIN scanner  (Read 3976 times)

umerten

graphics programs can't fine TWAIN scanner
« on: May 10, 2006, 01:08:41 PM »
I have ULead PhotoExpress v 6, and Photoshop Elements 2.0 on a Windows XP Home computer.  I also have a Mustek Bear Paw 1200F scanner.  The graphics programs recognize that the scanner is there, since the name appears on their source lists, but when you ask to connect to the scanner in the TWAIN mode, the programs freeze.  There is no alternative but to close the program.  I have repeatedly reinstalled the latest versions of the ULead and Mustek software.  At one point, when I tried to get the scanner from the ULead program I was told that I was missing several DLL files.  I downloaded these files from DLL-files, but it did not help.  I got a similar message from Photoshop, but I have been unable to find one of the files they asked for at any of the DLL web sites.  I have had extensive communication with ULead, who have made a number of suggestions, but the problem continues.  Mustek has been less responsive.  I should mention that in Photo Express it is possible to connect to the scanner without showing the TWAIN interface, and that works.  But if you want to be able to work with the scanner you have to check the TWAIN option, and then there is this problem.

Personally, I'm unsure whether the problem is likely to be with the graphics programs, the scanner, or Windows.  Any advice will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 01:10:41 PM by umerten »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: graphics programs can't fine TWAIN scanner
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 08:44:16 AM »
Can you access the scanner via Mustek's own software?  Because you could then at least scan, save, and open in your favourite graphics package.  It could be that there's a shortcoming with XP that isn't enabling it to mediate the TWAIN communication properly.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

umerten

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 11:58:40 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, but meanwhile the problem has worsened.  Now when I run the scanner from it's own interface it scans, and tells me where it is putting the image, but when I go there the image is not there.  At least this suggests that all of the problem is with the scanner sofware, since the graphics program was not even involved.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 02:47:25 PM »
Hmm...  Are you certain that your virus/spyware protection is up to date and working?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

umerten

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 04:16:45 PM »
Yes.  I have Zone Alarm antivirus and firewall on all the time, and just made a new SpyBot run which found nothing.  I think the machine is pretty clean.  Kinda strange!