Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lost My Hard Drive!!!!!  (Read 2375 times)

dickandsarah

Lost My Hard Drive!!!!!
« on: May 17, 2006, 10:09:10 AM »
I just formatted my work computer so I could install a newer OS (XP).  It had 2000 on it.  I thought everything was going well, until I got the message that there was no hard drive!!!  My brother told me there is software that will locate or recognize the  hard drive  and make it work again....I'm lost with this.  This computer is a Dell--Service Tag 14JT711....I have all the other numbers too.    If anyone can help me, please, I'd appreciate it.  I have been on here before about the same computer....I fixed the other problem, needed a battery.... [smiley=dankk2.gif] [smiley=embarassed.gif]

GX1_Man

Re: Lost My Hard Drive!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 04:01:07 PM »
That is a GX150. First I would go to the F2 screen and then press the caps lock, num locck (so all 3 lights are "on" on the keyboard. The hold down the Alt key and then hold the e key down until it beeps. It should beep a few times. This will clear the NVRAM. THen reboot the machine and press F2 and in the setup see if the hard drive is recognized correctly. If so, you can download and run diagnostics from the appropriate manufacturer's web site (this came with a 40 gig Maxtor drive).

Post back with what you find. I am unaware of your brother's "mystery software".

dickandsarah

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 02:21:53 PM »
HI. I haven't been back for so long because my home computer was having issues....I dumped it and everything is fine with that....As for the Dell I had Hard Drive problems with, I feel even more lost now.

I did all of the keyboard combinations that were suggested (alt + e, etc.).  When I booted up again after that, the screen said "Primary Drive 1   Not Found--Press F1 to continue or F2 for SetUp.  I pressed F1 and Windows 2000 loaded just fine....(I thought I dumped it).  All my stuff was still there so I did disk cleanup and then started to defrag, it was about half finished when the computer just shut off.  I couldn't turn it back on, so I opened it and popped out the battery for a few seconds, put it back and the computer started up with all the same wording as above--Primary Drive 1 Not Found......then it wouldn't find any drives...I would give up for the day. The next day the same thing would happen but Windows loaded after hitting F1 like it asked.....10 minutes later it will shut off or just froze.  I even got online for about 10 minutes yesterday with my home page loaded on IE!!  I have been doing this every day since my last message on here.  I only had to do the battery thing once.  Today a blue screen comes up before Windows finished loading---It says something about restarting the computer, if that happens again, check for viruses or run CHKDSK /F   ---I can't do either of those things.  Sometimes when I start it and hit F2 or F12, it says Keyboard error.  

I downloaded to a floppy TestDisk 6.3 from Softpedia.com.  That is supposed to detect your hard drive  and fix errors....Didn't do anything, didn't even load or whatever.  It started to spin and then stopped.  I probably didn't put it onto the floppy right.  Also, when I was doing the  defragging, I scheduled a Check Disk at next start up---that came on 2 days later!!!  During that, the screen went blue and said "Hard Error".....What my brother had suggested was that I go to the Maxtor site or Western Digital to get WDClear.  I couldn't find what he was talking about....Holy--Frustrating!!  This just sux.  We have two lousy computer repair places here and I wouldn't let those people repair a skateboard.....We have had dealings with them in the past and we pretty much told them that--They treated us like we didn't have any idea at all about computers and wanted to charge enough to buy a new computer!!  

This is driving me nuts, that I can't fix it.  Until someone tells me to let it go, it's junk, I'll keep trying..... >:(

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 04:46:07 PM »
Have a read here:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx150/en/ug/problems.htm#msgs

or the full page:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx150/en/ug/index.htm

You might try replacing the CMOS battery as a cheap "may fix" solution as well.  ;)

dickandsarah

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 09:14:00 PM »
I just wanted to thank you for your time, I appreciate it alot.  If I figure it out, I will let you know what the problem was!!!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 04:18:21 AM »
Thanks and good luck!  ;)

tekman22003

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 06:35:09 PM »
Try checking the IDE cables where they connect to the motherboard.  It is real easy to overlook that.