Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: reinstalling windows xp and ie favorites  (Read 3900 times)

tomcat

reinstalling windows xp and ie favorites
« on: May 30, 2006, 11:53:46 AM »
I am about to reinstall window xp home.  I just wanted to know what will happen to my ei favorites list.  
will I lose all of these sites?

If so is there a means of backing up this list before I reinstall.  And if I am able to backup this list  how do I go about backing up the list and then retrieve the list to the new installation.  

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: reinstalling windows xp and ie favorites
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 12:25:16 PM »
Go to File, Import and Export, and export your Favorites.  Copy or backup that file to an external media (floppy, CD, DVD, etc.).  Then when you reinstall Windows, import that file into IE.

tomcat

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 01:06:15 PM »
Thanks soybean.  I now see how to recover favorites.  

However the more I sit here and worry the more leary I get to reinstall windows from the origanal cd.  when I reinstall how much stuff will I lose.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 01:32:16 PM »
Well, what kinds of files do you create/add to your hard drive from the software you use or from files you've downloaded?  Word, Excel, etc.  Photos, music, etc.  Email messages?  Without knowing what all you do with your computer, no one can really give you a detailed list of everything you should back up.  But, does this give you more some idea of what you should back up?

Also, various settings should be saved, such as email accounts in OE or Outlook, and Internet connection settings.  Do you have macros in MS Office apps?  You would need to save them too if you don't want to lose them.  Have you downloaded software or device drivers that you want to save?  

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 02:12:25 PM »
    tomcat........ When you do a clean reinstall ........ Everything that is currently on the Hard drive will be wiped clean ( deleted ) .  So be sure to save anything you want onto cds before you do the reinstall of XP .

Things you should consider saving are :
    Your Email address book ....... "WAB"
    The set up settings required to recreate your Email account .
    Any pictures , Music or movies .
    Any required info that you may have placed in my documents.
    Your favourites
    Make sure you have the cds for any programs you will require after the install of XP .........
    When you are ready to do the clean install of XP , reboot into the bios and change the boot order to 1st boot cd drive .......( dont forget to save the change before you exit the bios ) then put your original XP cd in the cd drive  ....... and reboot ........ XP will begin to load ( then follow the instructions on the screen)
    Once it's loaded , and before you go on-line ......reinstall your anti virus ....... then go  on-line and update your anti virus ......and then go to Windows update and get all the latest updates for your machine. Now recreate your Email account using the set  up settings you saved .Now you may safely proceed installing any programs you need as well as importing your favourites and your "WAB " and anything else that you have saved.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

tomcat

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 02:47:38 PM »
    Thanks again fellows.   soybean and hacker

I see where we are going.  

Most of my stuff is on cd.  Music, games, drivers,ect.  

If truth be told the worst part of this scenerio is the fact tha t i have an 80 gig external hard drive and cloned the current problem to it also.  

thanks agin tomcat

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 02:59:13 PM »
       tomcat......
      i have an 80 gig external hard drive and cloned the current problem to it also.  
         What is the problem that you have cloned ?

tomcat

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 10:38:02 AM »
      Thanks Hacker for the response.   The problem is that I can not have more than 2 sites on my task bar at the same time when I am searching a subject.  

SEE  minimize to task bar     tomcat    last post 28 may 06  

If my isp= INSIGHT BROAD BAND  cable modem using ie does not allow me to have muli web sites WHY then am I able to go to aol.com and still using ie have as many website windows that I want.  

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 12:06:23 PM »
        tomcat.......
        If my isp= INSIGHT BROAD BAND  cable modem using ie does not allow me to have muli web sites WHY then am I able to go to aol.com and still using ie have as many website windows that I want.  
            I don't think your ISP has anything to do with this ........
        Heres what to do to get aound that....   when you go online ...it defaults to IE .... so go to whatever site you wish ( either from your favourites or from a search say using google.......) now if you wish to go somewhere else..... just minimize that window .... ( you should be back at your desktop ) ....just click on your IE icon and a new window will open ( the 1 first window is still there and minimized ) again pick any site from your favourites or from the search engine go to that site , then minimize it and so on ......you can have many IE windows all open at the same time .......

Hope this helps you.