Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I lost my xp disk and I have a missing dos file  (Read 5396 times)

margaretforgets

I lost my xp disk and I have a missing dos file
« on: August 30, 2004, 11:34:22 PM »
I can't play my "Lemmings" game or install my photoshop program. I get an error mssg. as follows:
c;\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application.

The solution is to take these files from the installation disk and put them on the harddrive but I lost my xp disc. Is there any other way to fix this problem?

merlin_2

Re: I lost my xp disk and I have a missing dos fil
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 02:46:19 PM »
ask m$oft for a replacement disk or the makers of your pc

sparks  13

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 06:35:39 AM »
i have same prob but i have  windows xp cd what files should take wnd where shoul i but them

margaretforgets

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 11:13:12 PM »
This is what I found in the help and support in xp. After reviewing it, It doesn't say that it applies to xp. I tried it and it didn't fix my problem. It said that I didn't have a destination. I gave up temporarily. If you have success, please let me know how!!!

An Error Message Occurs When You Run an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows Program
Applies To
This article was previously published under Q305521
SYMPTOMS
If you try to run an MS-DOS-based or a 16-bit Windows-based or Windows Server 2003, you may receive one of the following error messages:

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
path to the program you are trying to run
C:\WINNT\system32\config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
C:\WINNT\system32\autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
You may be prompted to either quit the program or to ignore the error message. However, both options cause the program to quit.
CAUSE
This issue can occur if any of the following Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 files is missing, damaged, or not located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder:
Autoexec.nt
Command.com
Config.nt

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, type the following commands at a command prompt to expand the Autoexec.nt, Command.com, and Config.nt files from the Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 installation CD-ROM to the Windows\System32 or Winnt\System32 folder. Press ENTER after you type each command. When you type these commands, replace cd-rom with the letter for your CD-ROM drive, drive_letter with the drive letter for your system partition, and system_root with the name of your Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 folder (this is typically either Winnt or Windows). After you type these commands, restart your computer:
expand cd-rom:\i386\config.nt_ drive_letter:\system_root\system32\config.nt

expand cd-rom:\i386\autoexec.nt_ drive_letter:\system_root\system32\autoexec.nt

expand cd-rom:\i386\command.co_ drive_letter:\system_root\system32\command.com

The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003, Premium Edition