Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: deleted folders keep coming back!!!!  (Read 17148 times)

gollam

deleted folders keep coming back!!!!
« on: August 31, 2004, 09:36:57 AM »
accidently downloaded loads of crack files from limewire(about 230 odd).these have gone into about four music folders(my kids have one each).I've deleted them to recycle bin and emptied it but they keep returning!!!i've uninstalled limewire and its shared folder don't know what to do now ,going mad .any help please?thanx.

Raptor

Re: deleted folders keep coming back!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 10:56:46 AM »
Please Read This First - Viruses & Spyware

I suggest you download the recommended programs to see if they can remove any spyware entries.

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 01:07:54 PM »
the king of them all >http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/

the ancient surfer

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 12:06:01 AM »
thanx raptor.done spyware,virus scan,adware but still no luck.disk check on startup reads'1st allocation unit is not valid.the entry will be truncated'.It does this on all the crack.exe folders.all are 12kb.after startup  task manager shows 100% cpu usage -svchost running at about 85%.don't understand most of this but it might help.thanx.

the ancient surfer(gollam

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 03:39:18 AM »
thanx merlin 2.tried it but they all came back.(changed name ,using the wife's computer).now what!blow it up?

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 05:09:53 AM »
Boot into safemode and attempt to scan from there.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 01:25:07 PM »
what operating system are you running...sounds like they are held in info2...?you could try one of these if you wish>http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads12.html
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 01:27:13 PM by merlin_2 »

the ancient surfer(gollam

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2004, 09:51:56 AM »
ran a couple of virus programs in safe mode nothing found.downloaded 'absolute shield track eraser'from the geeks sight.erased all the annoying folders.returned to normal mode.ALL BACK!going back to the site and try a couple more.can only copy to floppy as other computer doesn't have cd write.thanx for your persistence!

gollam

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 10:22:32 AM »
running xp. what's info 2? One folder says'limewire..........scanner',does this help?

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004, 12:44:06 PM »
Remove any Limeware associated files?

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2004, 01:22:26 PM »
what happens with <info2/recycler> when you think file are deleted from the recycle bin they are not...you dont see them they are held in a folder called info2/recycler....if you go to say my documents folder tools /folder options/view tab you will see the option to display hidden files...>

gollam

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2004, 01:41:39 PM »
deleted all limewire stuff.already showing hidden files .friend of mine had a look,reckons its a virus (or worm) attatched itself to svchost system thingy.if it was downloaded from p2p,there may not be a program able to detect it.wont give up yet!thanx again.

merlin_2

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2004, 01:49:04 PM »
run this >http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/   and also you may wish to consider spysweeper from webroot .com

gollam

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2004, 06:45:20 AM »
decided to give up and reinstall,BUT! reinstalled 'clean insallation'. installed Panda Antivirus.it automaticly ran a scan and i noticed all my original folders were being scanned(i thought these were wiped out on new installation?).this time it found a worm(4 or 5000 infected folders)and sorted it!where are all these folders hiding?went to search and put the important ones back.pleased about that.when i remember the name of the worm i'll post it .thanx for all your help again.yo!

gollam

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2004, 12:32:47 PM »
worm was W32/Sndc.A.worm.Birds eat worms!