Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Probs with new x1900xt - new PSU needed?  (Read 2021 times)

kennyrushby

Probs with new x1900xt - new PSU needed?
« on: June 07, 2006, 01:49:04 PM »
Hi guys, I recently got a Club 3d X1900XT Radeon card - what a beast! Unfortunately it's ripping my PC to bits, my PC just resets about 30 secs into any game I try. Now I made PCIe the primary adaptor in BIOS, also disabled AGP fastwrite. I read also in the ATI manual I shouldn't have anything else attached to the power line going to the card, but I have to, I dont have enough plugs. It's only the DVD drive and the temperature LEDs though, and most of my games are NO CD cracked anyway, so not sure bout this.

Now I went on my mobo's website, and my card wasn't in the compatible list, it only went up to x1600's, but a mate of mine said it's defo a PSU thing. As you can tell I'm a beginner with this stuff, so any help you guys can give me would be much appreciated.

Info from the side of my current Colors IT 550w PSU;

AC Input 230VAC    10A    50-60Hz

+3.3v     +5v      +12v      -5v      -12v      +5VSB
28a         35a       30a        0.5a     0.8a      2.5a

Rest of my PC is

Intel 3.2ghz with HT enabled
ASRock P4Dual-880 Pro (socket 478)
2x512mb Kingston DDR PC3200(400mhz)
Maxtor 200gb
Sony DVDRW

Card is fine in Device Manager, temperatures looked fine too, it's onlt unstable en I start a game. I tried Pro Evo 5, Gun, FEAR, and BF2 to be sure.

If it is the PSU can anyone recommend a REALLY good one? I'd want it for AMD FX chip though and SATA2 ready because I'm planning a new Crossfire build so dont want to buy a great Intel PSU for just a month or two, I'll just tighten the belt and bring forward the build date.

Thanks in advance guys, sorry to waffle on a bit! If I can give you any more info just lemme know.

GX1_Man

Re: Probs with new x1900xt - new PSU needed?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 02:59:39 PM »
I'm not sure the PSU is the only propblem, but it is a good place to start.

Think www.newegg.com and Antec for a pleasant experience from a quality maker.

kennyrushby

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 12:42:00 PM »
Thanks - I've lent a quality PSU with two 12v rails to try, I've been advised this could help. I'll let you know how it goes!

kennyrushby

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 02:54:51 PM »
Just to let you know, my mates psu with 2 12v rails has solved the problem, its running fully stable again. I finally saw what Ive been waiting for - Oblivion detecting my system and setting everything to Ultra High! Runs smooth and looks AMAZING!!

Right then, off to look at an Antec like you recommended GX1_Man - thanks again for the input, until my next PC stumbling block!

;D

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 05:35:43 PM »
Good for you. Unfortunately too many people try to cut corners on one of the more important aspects of their dream systems. Let us know how it goes.  ;)