Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Server  (Read 1656 times)

John_A

Server
« on: June 13, 2006, 10:24:42 PM »
I'm about to wander into new territory. I asked a tech about a separate tower with hard drives so I just had to change mother board to update(grade). He said "oh you mean a server, that's what I have as my home network and that's the way to go". We have three computers at home right now with a partial network, only two on it at this time. What are the paticulars and is it "the way to go".

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Server
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 12:50:34 AM »
I do hope that "tech" isn't a close friend or relative, because he appears to have been talking out of his backside.  The question is: what do you want to do?  If you are looking to upgrade your computer, you will probably need to change motherboard, processor & fan.  You may also need to change graphics card and certain other add-ons.  It really depends on how big a jump you're making.  If you're upgrading the lot, the only thing you'll really be able to resuse is the floppy drive & CDROM.  Nothing else is going to be up to the job.

So tell us a bit more about your project we can perhaps try and give you slightly more balanced advice...
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos