Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Remote access problems  (Read 2075 times)

XOffender

Remote access problems
« on: June 15, 2006, 03:30:59 AM »
Hello. I hope I've posted this in the right place!

I am set up to access my work desktop from home. The connection works fine and I can access everything on my work computer from home no problem. However the response time is ridiculously slow. Opening a PDF takes ages for example and it loads in blocks from left to right. If I then want to close the PDF it takes about 30 seconds. And it's not just PDFs, even writing an email takes a while.

Our IT support suggested that it might be that the broadband speed isn't fast enough but this doesn't seem to make sense. We recently had a new server installed which seems to have made the remote access slower. Could it be a problem with the way the remote access is set up? Is there anything I can do on my computer (virtually no IT knowedge!) or do I need to get back to our technical support?

Any advice will be gratefully received. Thankyou!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Remote access problems
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 04:27:56 AM »
Hi there.

What program are you using to access your computer remotely?  Is it Microsof Remote Desktop?  Or a VNC program like RealVNC/TightVNC?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

XOffender

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 04:30:41 AM »
Hello

I think it's just the Windows XP Remote Desktop Connection...

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 07:20:02 AM »
It could be possible that your internet connection is not fast enough. I have DSL, and when my neighbor next door needs help, we use Remote Desktop. It's slow for me. This is becuase you're using the internet to take information from one computer to another. That's a lot of information. If the server seems to be making things slower, propose this to IT, and see what they say.

Flame

XOffender

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 07:21:46 AM »
Thanks Flame. I am connected with Broadband 2.2mhps - thought that would do it. You think perhaps I need more than that?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 08:41:30 AM »
Well, the problem might not be your connection. It's possible that the computer on the other side is not able to go faster than this. That server you spoke of might have a speed limit that only allows the connection to go at a certain speed.

Flame