Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 1782 - Disk Controller Failure  (Read 5022 times)

Apeiron

1782 - Disk Controller Failure
« on: June 16, 2006, 12:41:39 AM »
Hi all,

Last night suddenly my computer crashed. I saw the start-up screen appearing, but when trying to load Windows XP on start up the computer just reset again. I then tried to load Safe Mode, but the same thing happened.

I turned of the computer (a notebook) because it was very hot. Figuring the cooling was the problem, I waited some time and then turned it back on only to see the start up screen on which then appeared the following error:

1782 - Disk Controller Failure

I can enter the BIOS.

If I just ignore it and try to continue starting the computer, it will give the Non-System Disk or Disk Error message.

Is there any way I can recover the information on the hard disk? There's a lot of important stuff on it for my studies, and much much more important things  

I have a Compaq Notebook. Evo N600C it says on the thing itself. It runs Windows XP. I've never added anything to it.

I had the computer unplugged, removed the CMOS battery and the accu and then waited all night. This morning when I turned it on it started counting the memory and then awful clicking noises came from the hard disk. It took quite a while and eventually a new error message appeared saying something like "Fixed Harddisk Tables (or something) or BIOS settings"... :-? The clicking continued for hours. Eventually I turned the thing of and when I put it back on I got the same old 1782.

*Very depressed*

GX1_Man

Re: 1782 - Disk Controller Failure
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 04:22:07 AM »
That is usually a motherboard failure. If the disk controller is in fact ruined there, you will need a motherboard replacement or a new computer. Unfortunately there are not a lot of options with laptops. The Compaq site can advise you further on all the specific possibilities of that message. How did you remove the CMOS battery? Are you sure it was not the regular laptop battery?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 04:26:15 AM by GX1_Man »