Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adding HD as slave  (Read 1820 times)

cojack

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Adding HD as slave
    « on: June 17, 2006, 05:10:24 AM »
    My wife's computer is not working and will  be replaced. I want to take her HD and add it to her new computer as a slave. It is coming out of a XP system. It is a seagate 80G HD. When I remove the jumper to make it a slave and boot, I went into bios and it was set to AUTO. Seems like its installed. Doesn't show in windows explorer or my computer. I've done this in the past taking a HD from a HP on win 98 and put it in a PC running win 98 without a problem. What was nice about this, is I was able to retreive her data without a problem. Can this be done in XP. The HD came out a EMachines and is going into a Dell pc. I tried it in my win 98 PC and it shows in my computer and windows explorer but when I click on it it say drive not ready???
    Cojack

GX1_Man

Re: Adding HD as slave
    « Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 06:24:38 AM »
    If the hard drive is formatted as NTFS file system it cannot be seen in WIndows 98. It will need to be formatted as FAT32 to be usable in that system. It could be slaved into any 2000 or XP system and the data removed prior to this if important data is involved.

you have done everything correctly. It is just this one small problem.