Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Joining a windows 2000 domain  (Read 5907 times)

WmHenryH

Joining a windows 2000 domain
« on: June 17, 2006, 05:59:06 PM »
We currently went from a workgroup environment to a Windows 2000 domain environment.  On my computer I joined the domain after having setup the same userid and password on the AD domain.  But after logging on to my computer and the new domain in I found out I was a different user and could not access my files or even my desktop settings on my computer.  I missed something very important and have been searching for an answer of how to setup an existing PC and user on a Windows 2000 server.  Can anyone help :-?

GX1_Man

Re: Joining a windows 2000 domain
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 06:03:23 PM »
Are you the administrator of this domain?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 11:25:25 PM »
You would need to log onto your computer using an account with admin rights over that computer, find the files you want and change their ownership to the domain user's account.  Remember that LOCALMACHINE\Fred is not the same user as DOMAIN\Fred.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 11:25:50 PM by robpomeroy »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

WmHenryH

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 05:50:40 PM »
Thanks Fred,
    From your answer I'm assuming I can't do what I had hoped, ie save the users desktop and original file structure and if I understand you correctly I'll just move the files to the new Windows 2000 domain user from the Windows 2000 workstation users directory.  It seems cumbersome but if that's what's needed to be done that's what I'll need to do.
  Thanks for your response, I spent hours on this trying different ideas, it's nice to have someone lend a helping hand.

Bill

WmHenryH

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 05:51:10 PM »
Thanks Fred,
    From your answer I'm assuming I can't do what I had hoped, ie save the users desktop and original file structure and if I understand you correctly I'll just move the files to the new Windows 2000 domain user from the Windows 2000 workstation users directory.  It seems cumbersome but if that's what's needed to be done that's what I'll need to do.
  Thanks for your response, I spent hours on this trying different ideas, it's nice to have someone lend a helping hand.

Bill

WmHenryH

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 05:53:27 PM »
Sorry I called you Fred!  I picked that up from your response!
And thanks Sage, Yes I am the Windows 2K administrator.  Again it's nice to have help.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 01:22:54 AM »
Thanks Fred,
No problem Dorothy.  ;)

From your answer I'm assuming I can't do what I had hoped, ie save the users desktop and original file structure
On the contrary - you can do it.  You simply need to change the ownership of the files.  They are currently owned by a local account; change the ownership to a domain account.  That'll do the trick.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 01:23:10 AM by robpomeroy »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    « Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 08:54:16 AM »
    Yes you can "Move" user accounts in windows 2000

What you have to do is login as the Administrator , right click on My computer, click on the advanced tab
    Click on the "User Profiles" Button

Sorry i made a mistake its the user Profiles Tab in win2000

It should show all the users stored localy Domain and Local,
    Chose the old User Account
    and click the copy too button
    then browse to the New User location
    eg: C:\Docs&Setteings\domianUser\
    and copy

and your sorted.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 09:05:51 AM by panboy »
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice