Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook install over Outlook Express  (Read 3253 times)

MTCD

Outlook install over Outlook Express
« on: June 19, 2006, 08:39:05 PM »
I installed MS Office over the trial version that was pre-installed on my machine. The applications all converted over nicely, except Outlook Express. I already dumped the shortcuts but it remains apparently as a standalone in C:\Program Files\Outlook Express that does not appear in the Control Panel Add/Delete programs list.

So, my question is, can I delete the C:\Program Files\Outlook Express file without harm? or does my active Outlook application share files with the original Outlook Express?  

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Outlook install over Outlook Express
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 01:06:22 AM »
Look in the Outlook Express folder for any files ending in ".pab", ".pst" or ".wab".  If you don't find any, you can delete the folder entirely.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 01:07:47 AM by robpomeroy »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Damnation

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 04:03:22 AM »
Outlook Express is part of Windows. If you install Outlook, you can just use it instead of Outlook Express. If you are using Windows 98 all your mail will be stored in Windows\Application Data somewhere I think. Those would be .dbx files. Your Address Book (.wab) will also be there somewhere.

If you are using Windows XP your mail should be in Documents and Settings\yourusername\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{9A50FA12-F90E-4AE0-BAF7-DCCD55C3A00D} (or something similar) \Microsoft\Outlook Express

Address Book = Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

Regards

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 08:00:37 AM »
I installed MS Office over the trial version that was pre-installed on my machine. The applications all converted over nicely, except Outlook Express. I already dumped the shortcuts but it remains apparently as a standalone in C:\Program Files\Outlook Express that does not appear in the Control Panel Add/Delete programs list.

So, my question is, can I delete the C:\Program Files\Outlook Express file without harm? or does my active Outlook application share files with the original Outlook Express?  
MS Office has nothing to do with Outlook Express.   So, what do you mean by "The applications all converted over nicely, except Outlook Express."

As noted in another post, Outlook Express is a Windows component, just like Internet Explorer.  So, I'm leery of robpomeroy's statement that it can simply be deleted.  He's very knowledgeable and may be absolutely right, but I would not do that.  If you don't want to use Outlook Express, then simply do not use it.

If Outlook Express is on your Start menu, you can remove it by going to Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components.  This simply removes the shortcut.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 08:02:24 AM by soybean »

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 05:14:58 PM »
"If Outlook Express is on your Start menu, you can remove it by going to Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components.  This simply removes the shortcut. "

I think this removes more than the shortcut. If you want to remove the shortcut, just delete it.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 06:59:44 PM »
Well, I agree removing any shortcuts can simply be just deleted.  But, based on all appearances, the "removal" via Add/Remove Windows Components only removes shortcuts.  In the Add/Remove Windows Components panel, the impact on hard drive space of adding or removing a component is displayed.  In cases where, supposedly, the only thing removed is shortcuts to the component, the change in drive space is displayed as 0.00MB.  And, a message at the lower part of the panel says, "Adds or removes access to Outlook Express from the Start menu".  

I tested the procedure.  It removes all shortcuts, including one I had on my Quick Launch toolbar.  When I accessed Add/Remove Windows Components again to add it back, it was added back to the Programs menu.  I opened Outlook Express and went to Tools, Options, Accounts, Mail, to make sure my email account data was still there.  It was.

Why Outlook Express and some other components are displayed in Add/Remove Windows Components merely to remove shortcuts, I have to wonder.  

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 08:26:49 PM »
Only Bill Gates knows.....  ;)

MTCD

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 03:21:40 PM »
Thanks everyone, all good info. I ended up deleting the Outlook Express since I didn't see any of the files mentioned, and Outlook still works fine.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 03:33:28 PM »
Yes, they are two separate programs. Thanks for posting back.