Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: system configuration??  (Read 7008 times)

Trish

system configuration??
« on: September 04, 2004, 02:17:10 PM »
While working on my PC today..I ended up doing a restart.  When windows loaded I got a box that says "System Configuration" at the top and "You are using the selective startup for troubleshooting your system".  I didn't change anything on my pc.  Why is it saying this at every restart now and how can I make it go back to the way it was??  Thank u! :D

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: system configuration??
    « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004, 02:20:47 PM »
    Trish.......What operating system are you using ?
    Have you downloaded any updates or anything else just prior to this occurring ?

let us know

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Trish

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2004, 02:39:31 PM »
    I am operating in Windows ME..  I did download and install Ad-aware today..ran that particular program but did not delete anything after using it since I was not sure what was safe to delete.   ?????
    Thanks for any help u can give!  :o

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 02:49:58 PM »
    you did not use msconfig in the run box?....this just happened yes/no if you wish to disable this message tick the box..
    « Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 02:51:30 PM by merlin_2 »

Chir6

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 03:24:28 PM »
    How ya doing Trish,
    Do you have a more tech-savvy user on your machine?  
    The box that poped up is because someone used the MSCONFIG utility to change the was windows starts.  This utility is a favorite of PC repair Technicians, to prevent troubling applications from starting when Windows starts.  Normally, chosing "NO" to show this message when windows starts is okay, but if you don't remember using the msconfig utility to investigate a problem, OR ANY OTHER USER ON THAT MACHINE, then you might want to double check that all is well.  You can access the utility, by clicking the start button, and then the run command.  type "msconfig" and a window will appear.  You will want to click the "startup" tab to make sure that only the programs that you use are starting with windows.  Be CAREFULL, as you can fubar you machine with this utility too!  IF, under the startup tab, you see items for example, that arent named, you will want to make sure these processes don't start with windows, thereby, preventing them from doing their maliciousness, and freeing up valuable system resources.  It is also important to make sure that you Anti-virus and firewall software are starting with windows, make sure these are CHECKED.  After applying your new startup configuration, you will be prompted to reboot, and upon returning to windows, you will get that screen you saw.  Clicking NO once for each user, will allow you to start your modified startup configuration everytime without that screen coming up.

http://www.totalaccesssolutions.com
    « Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 03:27:36 PM by Chir6 »

Trish

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2004, 06:49:04 AM »
    No..this is the odd thing.  I never changed the settings in "msconfig".   I am the only user of this pc too!

It all started yesterday when I sought help for a problem I was having on occassion with connecting through my cable modem.. Even though my modem was in working order when I would click onto internet explorer I would get "detecting proxy settings" and then an error message.  I was told to virus scan which I did and get ad-aware.. Which I did.  I ran ad-aware which came across a few items but I never deleted any of those items for fear of messing something else up!   >:(  I was then told to go to Internet Explorer..Options..advanced tab and set to default which I did.  And well..  what I described about the new  system config box is what started happening.

Ok..so I see that I can change the startup by using msconfig and changing it to normal setup...  I checked my "startup" in msconfig and see that there is a ton of things apparently running..perhaps this is why my system resources are constantly running low.  I am not that experienced at this and am not sure which are safe to turn off?  Here is a list of what comes on at startup..  which items are safe to turn off??
    Money Start Up..AIM..Scan Registry..Task Monitor..PCHealth..SystemTray...Load Power Profile..Hidserv...Country Selection..PCTVOICE...CPQEASYACC...EACL EAN...WorksFUD...Microsoft Works Update Detection...CQPInet...DigitalDashboard. ..Lexstart...Lexmark Print Tray...Alogserv...Winamp Agent...WinServerUpdt...Microsoft Works Portfolio...Load Power Profile...Scheduling Agent...State Mgr...McAfee Virus Scan Service...Cal Reminder Shortcut

Thanks for all ur help!!  I really appreciate it.  ;D

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2004, 02:04:12 PM »
    so you want winme to run properly no crashes viriuses/scumware/trojans...etc...here what to do...go into c:\windows\cabs\options folder setup icon...next to scanreg icon.....click the setup icon this will re-install winme...next untick all the themes in the add/remove box and anything else that you will not use<dont panic because if you want them back just re-tick the boxes> while in the control panel untick m$oft updates do it manually if you have to?>untick searching for floppy drives next untick scanreg/restore box all are found in the device manager and deleted other bits like gifs/bmps and alter the recycle bin folder to min...you should end up with about 1gig of hard drive space used thats including sygate firewall anvir personal edition spysweeper and stinger secretmaker word etc.and one complete crash free pc...cheap as well....defrag/disk cleanup after use and back to msconfig disable programs that you dont use on startup??
    « Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 02:11:47 PM by merlin_2 »

Mac

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2004, 09:41:23 AM »
    Hello Trish, I have been running ME for four years and I would advise that you use a Firewall as well as an anti-virus.

I use Zone Alarm Free firewall and AVG Free edition anti-virus and both work very well to date. Norton can slow ME down considerably.

You should delete all that AdAware finds, I do, and also install SpyBot S&D & SpywareBlaster. Make backups just in case.

You can clean up your system too by using delindex.bat on your Windows ME Start-Disk (bootdiskette).

Keep your hidden C:\_RESTORE Folder down to 500Mb in size.

In relation to the msconfig message, did you check the box "Don't show this message again." if not, then you should do so.

In IE, Tools, IE Options, Advanced, Uncheck:

"Activate install on demand" (Other) , and, "Activate install on demand" (Internet Explorer)