Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

How huge is your HD

<15 or = 15
2 (7.1%)
>20 or =20
3 (10.7%)
>40 or =40
2 (7.1%)
>80 or =80
6 (21.4%)
>100 or = 100
2 (7.1%)
>120 or =120
3 (10.7%)
>200 or =200
3 (10.7%)
>250 or =250
6 (21.4%)
>500 or =500
1 (3.6%)
>1000 or =1000
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: How big is your HD  (Read 13571 times)

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: How big is your HD
    « Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 07:30:59 PM »
    I've got a 200GB drive as the primary, and I'm about to have a 40GB addition. But I'm not jealous of you "320 GB" people -- I don't use that much anyway. ;D
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

GX1_Man

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2006, 07:52:07 PM »
    That's OK, Dilbert, nobody uses 320 gigs except for storing movies or (if addicted) games. I prefer my movies on DVD. Much easier to transport and much more enjoyable on a big screen.  ;)
    « Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 07:52:26 PM by GX1_Man »

Dead_reckon

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2006, 08:07:40 PM »
    That's OK, Dilbert, nobody uses 320 gigs except for storing movies or (if addicted) games. I prefer my movies on DVD. Much easier to transport and much more enjoyable on a big screen.  ;)

on the contrary, i will have two 250 gig sata drives if i can fit another in the budget

GX1_Man

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2006, 08:10:19 PM »
    But I said "uses", not "can get".

Dmitri

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2006, 08:35:39 PM »
    i have 20 gigabytes drive.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2006, 09:25:57 PM »
    But I said "uses", not "can get".

knowing me, i will use it up, i have alot of games that i would like to install, but can, due to limited system capibilities, which is why i am building such a powerfull computer for myself, i want to not worry if it will handle the game, i want to know it will play it at or near full settings

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2006, 09:34:46 PM »
      I have a ton of games as well; several are severely resource-intensive. For example:

Civilization IV

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (I and II)

Well, those are the three that are the most resource-intensive (google can reveal the system requirements ;))

Star Wars I can play all day, but I'll need to reboot afterwards; Civ IV eats up resources. Fast. You need the PC I have to run it well (and I still have trouble in the late game)

Dead_reckon

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2006, 10:09:05 PM »
      i think my system will cover it, if you want, PM me, i'll tell ya the specs, too  tired now, its late, i am going to get some sleep

Blackberry

Topic Starter

Adviser
      • For those with wings, fly to your dreams.
        « Reply #23 on: July 05, 2006, 02:15:49 AM »
        actually I have a 20 GB HD. So I can't really say that this is an mine is better talk :) because I think mine is worst, in a lot of peoples opinion. For me it is just good enough
        Everybody knows you can't click here. But I know you will try it :)

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
          « Reply #24 on: July 05, 2006, 02:38:00 AM »
          I only have such big Drives because the new one i just bought was on Offer , and i stole the old one From a DVR having that job made storage always Easy to get
          Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

Dead_reckon

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2006, 10:28:47 AM »
          actually I have a 20 GB HD. So I can't really say that this is an mine is better talk :) because I think mine is worst, in a lot of peoples opinion. For me it is just good enough

20 gigs is way to little for me, my documents is 20 gigs, well actually 21 point somthing, but i cant remember exactly

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2006, 10:49:19 AM »

But the folder I'm most proud of is C:\Batch. It's only 21.9 KB in size, but when you consider that that's a grand total of 13 batch files I've written myself... that's a lot of batch coding. If each character is a byte... ::)

My largest batch file, a file designed to synchronize my documents and a backup folder on root C: and even an optional floppy drive is a good 6 kilo! (Wait, on the "properties" display it says "5.01". Never mind...) Another large file is DelX.bat which cleans all three folders of any .dil (dilbert) files, any NULL files created before I learned that NUL is a void and NULL is not, or another delete of my specification. That file weighs in at 5.58 kilobytes. Only useful on my machine, but hey, they're good utilities. :)
            « Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 11:07:36 AM by Timothy_Bennett »

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
              « Reply #27 on: July 05, 2006, 11:16:59 AM »
              i have a huge 18.9 gig hhd and a 1.4 cpu and 312 RAM

GX1_Man

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2006, 12:47:44 PM »

20 gigs is way to little for me, my documents is 20 gigs, well actually 21 point somthing, but i cant remember exactly

And for everyone's education, 20 gigabytes is approximately 1,295,640 pages of files in Microsoft Word format or if using plain text 13,559,260 pages. That would take a lot of time to read. How long do you think it would just take to turn that many pages?

http://www.lexisnexis.com/applieddiscovery/lawlibrary/whitePapers/ADI_FS_PagesInAGigabyte.pdf

soybean

Genius
              • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #29 on: July 05, 2006, 04:59:02 PM »

And for everyone's education, 20 gigabytes is approximately 1,295,640 pages of files in Microsoft Word format or if using plain text 13,559,260 pages. That would take a lot of time to read. How long do you think it would just take to turn that many pages?

http://www.lexisnexis.com/applieddiscovery/lawlibrary/whitePapers/ADI_FS_PagesInAGigabyte.pdf
              LOL. Yes, you gotta believe there's a huge amount of unused hard drive these days.  And, a lot of is simply due to fact that 80Gig is about the smallest size hard drive on the market now, and, of course, 80 Gig or larger, nowdays most likely larger, drives in new computers.  Unless the owner seriously uses the computer for music, digital photography, or storing many video files on their computer, they're never going to use more than a small fraction of their hard drive capacity, even with an 80Gig drive.
              « Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 04:59:25 PM by soybean »