Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: mouse is dead, operating computer w keyboard  (Read 3352 times)

Dead_reckon

mouse is dead, operating computer w keyboard
« on: July 04, 2006, 05:52:31 PM »
anyone know of a virtual mouse program that i can control my mouse cursor with my keyboard? my optical mouse died, LED wouldnt light up, thus, no optical mouse, operating a computer with a keyboard isnt very fun, as anyone who used them before mice where invented can agree too. PLEASE, IF YOU KNOW OF A PROGRAM TELL ME!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 10:12:12 AM by Dead_reckon »

GX1_Man

Re: mouse is dead, operating computer w keyboard
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 06:05:44 PM »
There is no substitute for a real mouse, and a PS/2 one at that!

Dead_reckon

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 06:24:37 PM »
There is no substitute for a real mouse, and a PS/2 one at that!

your kidding right? there isnt even some stupid accessablity control that can do this for me? i mean, there is  a on screen keyboard, why isnt it the same for a mouse?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 06:26:50 PM »
There are Window combo keys (Ctl+C for Copy, Ctl+V for paste, etc.) and really you can get around without a mouse but it's not fun and it's not fast. It's like trying to type with a mouse and an onscreen keyboard. Just a poor substitue.

Scrolling, etc. have no practical counterpart except for a mouse or some other pointing device (Trackpad, etc.)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 06:28:29 PM by GX1_Man »

Dead_reckon

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 06:30:37 PM »
There are Window combo keys (Ctl+C for Copy, Ctl+V for paste, etc.) and really you can get around without a mouse but it's not fun and it's not fast.

yes i know of these commands, tab, shift tab, alt tab, windows key, right click key, all that good crap... you know the sad thing is, i didnt even think to bring a spare with me... thats like taking a car on a road trip with no spare tire... god i feel stupid... well, there are only two options left: computer and tech room on myspace (not much hope there) and google (that is going to be interesting...) if ANYONE knows of ANY kind of virtuall mosue program, TELL ME! i am at my wits end already..

Dead_reckon

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 06:39:56 PM »
oh i foudn somthing on google, just a simple search of "control mosue with keyboard"... and it can be done with the numeric keypad... but heres the irony of it, i have to install the acessiblity options WITH MY KEYBOARD ONLY! i think this is a first timer for windows XP...

Dmitri

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 08:38:33 PM »
deadly reck just use the tab. key. you have window key on keyboard?? that helps you to.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 05:58:44 AM »
Page Up, Page Down, Home and End (with or without the Ctrl key) are all useful quick keyboard navigation tools.  I use them more than my mouse to get around long web pages.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Dead_reckon

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 10:14:20 AM »
i went to dollar tree and got a PS\2 2 button mouse for $1.05, it works, short cord though, and no scroll wheel, but other than that, it isnt much of a prob. i use the keyboard as much as i use the mouse, if not more, but i still like to be able to use the mouse and click around when needed

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 10:32:48 AM »
That little $1 mouse will probably last longer than a $49.95 optical one.  ;)

Dead_reckon

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 10:59:38 AM »
That little $1 mouse will probably last longer than a $49.95 optical one.  ;)

well my optical one was one that my school threw away, they said it didnt work. i get home, plug it in, and windows picks it right up... my guess is that somone disabled the drivers for the mouse... this keyboard i got from my school also, some kid switched around the keys, so they threw it away, with two old dell quiet key keyboards, all of which work great

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 11:04:30 AM »
Well done for telling your school about their error and saving them some money...   ::)
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos