Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: avatar offer to ROSS  (Read 11304 times)

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« on: July 06, 2006, 07:50:52 AM »
Here's my avatar offer to ROSS.  It's a 2,819 byte, 65x47 pixel (same size as what you're displaying) version of your image, which is based on a 21,603 byte, 485x353 pixel image.  

Dead_reckon

Re:  avatar offer to ROSS
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 10:21:44 AM »
Here's my avatar offer to ROSS.  It's a 2,819 byte, 65x47 pixel (same size as what you're displaying) version of your image, which is based on a 21,603 byte, 485x353 pixel image.  

you must like optimizing images...

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 10:51:51 AM »
Well, when you think about the hundreds or thousands of times a day some of these avatars are transmitted to someone's web browser, why waste the bandwidth?  Why take an image like this one, which is actual image being used by ROSS, to display a tiny avatar?

It really doesn't require special web graphics optimizing software, although that can result in the best optimized graphics for web use.  MS Paint or any photo editing software can be used to simply resize the image to the actual size needed for the avatar.  Merely resizing greatly reduces the size of the underlying file.  It's that simple.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 10:54:29 AM by soybean »

Dead_reckon

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 03:09:19 PM »
ah, im too lazy to care enough to fix em... lol
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 03:10:54 PM by Dead_reckon »

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 06:24:17 PM »
Its truly amazing.
One picture could have originally been 3-40MB, but sick PhotoShop or Fireworks on it and it will be 18.2KB

Dead_reckon

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 06:48:11 PM »
Its truly amazing.
One picture could have originally been 3-40MB, but sick PhotoShop or Fireworks on it and it will be 18.2KB

or paint, lol

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 09:26:39 PM »
Some forums have limits on the dimensions and file size of avatars.  It really can be a money issue, since web host services generally price their hosting plans based on hard drive space allowed on the server and the amount of data transfer.  Data transfer refers to the volume of data that must be transmitted from web server to web visitors computer; of course, it includes all images included the web files comprising what the website visitor sees on their computer.  

Graphics optimization is kind of a balancing act, or striking a balance between image quality and file size.  Now, I'm not advocating that everyone go buy Optimizing Web Graphics software, which is specifically designed to optimize images for web use.  

Again, merely resizing an image to the actual size of the avatar or intended signature block image instead of taking a larger image and forcing the web browser to reduce the size is major step in avoiding bloated graphics.  Also, digital photos straight from the camera can be huge files.  The comment, "One picture could have originally been 3-40MB, but sick PhotoShop or Fireworks on it and it will be 18.2KB" was right on point.  

R0SS

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 08:40:51 AM »
Thanks mate i'll get round to changing that.

Good to see you care about peoples money........... what a nice guy [smiley=dankk2.gif]

R0SS

R0SS

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 06:31:04 PM »
Its all gone *censored* up! lol

Its cool i quite like the photo bucket bad boy!

It seems to work. ;D

R0SS

Dead_reckon

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 08:45:44 PM »
ross, i think he wanted you to DL the photo, then host it your self...

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    « Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 11:55:11 PM »
    ross, i think he wanted you to DL the photo, then host it your self...

Bah, humbug! You think we should all be self-sufficient? No! We should all step on each other's backs to get what we want! ;D

Back to reality... I was just about to PM you on the issue, ROSS.

--Dilbert "Whar's dis speel cheek i keap heering aboot"
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

R0SS

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 06:24:16 AM »
    Host it myself lol!

yeah probably he did. I'm going to keep the Photo bucket one bit of a novelty. lol

R0SS

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
    « Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 08:13:45 AM »
    Oops!  I figured you had moved it somewhere else for hosting.  I put it back in photobucket but please do copy it to wherever your former avatar image was being hosted or another roosting place.  

Photobucket probably has a limit on data traffic.  So, if I get too many images out there that are actively being used, I may exceed the limit.  

On the other hand, if you want to keep that photobucket image that was appearing after I deleted your image, let me know and I'll delete it again while you've still have your avatar URL pointing to it.  Don't want to spoil your fun.  LOL
    « Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 08:14:39 AM by soybean »

R0SS

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2006, 12:02:55 PM »
    Yeah mate go and delete the image

Lets keep the photo bucket one for a bit.

R0SS

Dead_reckon

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 08:25:29 AM »
    Photobucket probably has a limit on data traffic.  So, if I get too many images out there that are actively being used, I may exceed the limit.

it does have a limit, people come in the myspace tech room chat expecting help, bc there image shows up as a freindly "you have exceeded your maximum bandwidth" image, not sure on the wording exactly, if i see it i'll show ya