Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mac\linux computer  (Read 7655 times)

Dead_reckon

Mac\linux computer
« on: July 09, 2006, 12:56:31 PM »
ok, so recently i got my Ubuntu cd's and one of them happens to be a version that will run on mac, so i looked on ebay, and i can get alot of good imac's for cheap (under or just over 100 bucks), i was hoping to get atleast a 400mhz, with 128 or 256 ram, and have a dual boot with whatever mac it comes with, and my ubuntu... is this possiblie? i have never heard of a dual boot on a mac, but then again i havnt heard much of anything about macs...

GX1_Man

Dead_reckon

Re: Mac\linux computer
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 01:32:53 PM »
cant i just use teh GRUB boot loader? like i did for XP, or do i need to use another?

EDIT: also, what do i use in mac to create the linux partition?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 01:33:38 PM by Dead_reckon »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 03:48:41 PM »
I  don't run Macs, so you should ask Dave Taylor.

K3WHO

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 09:42:39 PM »
You probably shouldn't put Ubuntu on a machine any slower than 900mhz. I have it running now on a 900mhz machine with 256 mb of RAM. It's tolerable but still a little laggy on that system.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 11:52:59 AM »
i did look on ebay and there are some ole GX110 P3's that would work, i want to get one of the REALLY tiny ones, so i can put it in my ole cd player or vcr, just for the heck of it

jackpkmn

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 11:22:43 PM »
ehh... I have never heard of such a thing excataly. Mac OS 9 comes with a version of the Startup Disk control panel that will allow ou to choose the startup voluem. Most likely though it would intsall on a Mac OS standered artition. It may also start on a DOS or ProDOS partition. For this you may need an older version of the Drive Setup app. Sounds like an older mac like a PPC 750 would not be preferable but a G4 would be fine. Dual boot with something can require a larger HDD also. Thinking about it your more likely to just simply use Mac OS 8.6 or 9 on an older machene. If you have a newer machene that would ue X then just use Microsoft VPC and install Linux on that.