Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: chkdsk messed all my files up!  (Read 2474 times)

bosjo

chkdsk messed all my files up!
« on: July 10, 2006, 10:39:23 AM »
Hi all.

The other day i desided to reinstall Windows 2000 Pro, and re partition my Disk0 so i could check out Linux.

Old Disk0, Partition 1 = C: 20GB, Partition 2 = D: 160GB
Old Disk1, Partition 1 = E: 180GB

So i copy all files from C: to E:\Backup_C
And i copy all files from D: to E:\Backup_D

Repartion Disk0 and reinstall Windows 2000 Pro.
Just as windows is done installing and starts rebooting, I go put on some coffe (Bad mistake), when i come back to the PC it is already in the process of running chkdsk on my old Disk1:Partition 1 = E:

Now all the backup files E:\Backup_C & E:\Backup_D are totally messed up......well all the really importants one anyway....but all the old original files on E: is intact.
It looks like they are encrypted or something, and are useless :-(

I have tried to run GetDataBack For NTFS on the Disk0, but it seems that this dossent work out all that well, lots of files are still missing, and it is offcourse all the important ones.

are there any way to reverse the chkdsk or any tool that might be able to recover the files???

GX1_Man

Re: chkdsk messed all my files up!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 01:13:24 PM »
Have a look throught these. If you are using the hard drive that the files were deleted from, your chance of recovery goes down. The best solution would be to slave it into a working machine at least for this exercise.

If they were overwritten by files with the same name that complicates it even further. You can try here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=file+recovery+software&btnG=Google+Search

« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 01:13:47 PM by GX1_Man »

bosjo

Re: chkdsk messed all my files up!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 11:59:05 AM »
Trust me, I have run recovery in every thinkable way with the disk as slave.

When i RePartitioned the drive, i used Seagates DiscWizard from which i first Reset the device totally, create my partitions, and let Windows format it's partitions and Linux format it's partitions.

Recovery on this disc is useless.

Unless ther's some way of fixing the files that chkdsk messed up....well then i just have to live with it  :'(