Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Netgear WG111 wireless adapter problems  (Read 3525 times)

Fletch

Netgear WG111 wireless adapter problems
« on: July 12, 2006, 08:38:24 PM »
I have had a Netgear WG111 wireless card for about a year now, and until recently it has worked fine.  Just the other day, though, I stopped being able to access the internet.  It still tells me that I'm connected in the notification area, whether I'm using the Netgear connection utility or the Windows XP connection utility.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver a hundred times, as well as using the "Repair" connection command.  I haven't been able to try another server yet, but I'm going to take my laptop to the public library tomorrow and try it there.  My laptop is an HP Pavilion zt1170.  512MB RAM, 60GB Hard Drive.  Windows XP Home.  The wireless card is a WG111, serial number WG72.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Netgear WG111 wireless adapter problems
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 02:18:48 AM »
Please report back on your findings.  Then we can try diagnosing the problem.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

ian124

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 05:42:59 AM »
Had the same problem with my wireless network mate, although it was not netgear sounds like the same thing, i had to get a newer version of firmware.

dont upgrade your firmware via a wirless connection you have to be wired in to upgrade or you could risk messing things up even more

ian

Fletch

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 02:08:50 PM »
Well, I tried the wireless card at the library and it didn't work.  Then I tried another USB port and it worked for a short while, and then it stopped again.  It still lit up and showed me being connected, but none of my internet applications were able to connect.  

I have to admit, I haven't exactly been gentle with my laptop in the years that I have had it and I wouldn't be too surprised if the USB ports or something connecting them is broken.  But I have tried all of the USB ports with my thumb disk and my USB mouse, and both work fine in all of the ports.  I tried another wireless adapter and it only worked in the same port I plugged mine into today when it worked.  Though the other adapter had better results.  I will have to test it more thoroughly today and maybe dismantle my computer to look for any obvious damage.

If anybody has any other advice I would be much appreciative.

Fletch

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 06:53:30 PM »
Well, I've got it figured out, and thankfully my USB ports are all in working condition.  I tried my wireless card in another computer and it came up with the same problem.  The wireless utility tells me I'm connected yet I can't load a page.  Looks like the card is toast.  I gave a friend's card another shot in my computer and I found it to work in all ports.

Netgear support has been useless.  "Did you try reinstalling the driver?" "Yes, that didn't fix the problem."  "Try using windows wireless configuration instead of the netgear program."  "That doesn't help either."  "Try reinstalling the driver."  Um...yeah, I think I'll try taking my money somewhere else.  Though, I realize tech support is probably just as bad anywhere.  My thanks go out to the wonderful Netgear support staff who assembled in order to solve my problem:  Meenakshi, Manas, Sumit, Debika and Daljeet.

Anyway, though I didn't get too much of a response here on this particular problem, it has been very helpful having a forum for sorting out my thoughts.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 07:04:08 PM by Fletch »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 06:58:49 AM »
Glad you managed to get it sorted, and thanks for reporting back.  Have you tried an alternative wireless card yet?

So... you've enountered the delights of the Dehli call centre?!  :-/

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 03:58:08 PM »
 My thanks go out to the wonderful Netgear support staff who assembled in order to solve my problem:  Meenakshi, Manas, Sumit, Debika and Daljeet.

LOL!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, though I didn't get too much of a response here on this particular problem, it has been very helpful having a forum for sorting out my thoughts.

Rob is the networkmeister. You were in good hands all the way.  ;)

Fletch

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 07:29:29 PM »
Well, I went out and bought a Linksys PCMCIA card and couldn't get it to work despite exhaustive efforts.  I tried it in another laptop and upon finding it in working order concluded that the slot on my laptop is out of order.  I traded it in for a Linksys USB network adapter and now I'm back online.  I haven't tested it thoroughly yet, but I'm not finding my connection to be as reliable as it was with my Netgear adapter when it was still in working order.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 03:02:23 AM »
Given your self-confessed "robust" use of your laptop, possibly a Panasonic Toughbook would suit you better in future.  ;)

Fletch

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 10:01:46 AM »
That's a good idea, something I have been seriously fantasizing about.  But I think I can limp along with my trooper for just a little while longer.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 10:07:00 AM »
something I have been seriously fantasizing about
You need to get out more...   ;)  ;D

Fletch

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 05:24:23 PM »
Are there any good postings that discuss the benefits and detriments of various computers and manufacturers?

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 07:22:50 PM »
Usually only by those with one bad experience that they want to extrapolate to ALL products of a given manufacturer. I take those with several grains of salt as it seems someone always has an axe  to grind.  ;)

Fletch

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 07:42:33 AM »
Seems to me like most computer companies are created equal, along with a few that have their gimmicks, like Alienware and Panasonic.