Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

Do you get any digital magazines?

Yes
2 (50%)
No
2 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Do you get any digital magazines?  (Read 2623 times)

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Do you get any digital magazines?
« on: July 17, 2006, 09:02:28 PM »
Well, do you?  If so, what software do you use to read them?  The two applications for reading digital magazines that I'm aware are Zinio Reader and Adobe Reader.  I had a subscription to the digital edition of US News & World Report.  And, I still have some older digital editions of PC Magazine.  These are viewed with Zinio Reader, and they are identical to the print version, but offer some digital features such as active hyperlinks.  In other words, if an article contains a hyperlink, as it would be printed in the print edition, it is a live hyperlink in the digital version.  And, if you click on the title of an article in Table of Contents, the display jumps to that page.  You can also highlight text with a yellow marker and make notes, called annotations, on a page. These stick; they will be there during future viewings.  If you'd like to see what's available, visit www.zinio.com.

I also have some digital magazines from Qmags.  These are viewed with Adobe Reader.  They have some free stuff.  
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 09:02:52 PM by soybean »

GX1_Man

Re: Do you get any digital magazines?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 09:08:17 PM »

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 09:22:08 PM »
So, GX1_MAN, you're using foxy Foxit Reader for a digital magazine, right?  What's the source of the magazine?  I find Adobe Reader fast for viewing digital magazine.  But, I'm curious as to whether Foxit can be used with the digital magazines from Qmags.  When viewing a magazine with Adobe Reader, Adobe Reader looks quite different than when viewing PDF documents.  The magazine display covers the whole screen/monitor.  There's no Adobe Reader border around it.

Zinio has more functionality but is slower than Adobe Reader.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 09:25:18 PM by soybean »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 09:39:08 PM »
I use it for TUX, a linux monthly.  ;D

homer

Expert
    « Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 10:29:27 PM »
    digital magazines???? whats the world coming to?????

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 06:14:56 AM »
    Kind of clumsy to carry to the bathroom.....

homer

Expert
      « Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 05:41:45 PM »

:D
      « Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 05:42:03 PM by homer »

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
      « Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 06:41:11 PM »
      Hey now, a total of 4 votes so far.  I'm overwhelmed!   LOL

I would agree digital magazines can never truly take the place of print publications.  You can not lay them on a coffee table for guests to ponder.  And, yes, "Kind of clumsy to carry to the bathroom.....".  

On the other hand, they may have some positive points.  A frequent traveler could take the digital version to save space, assuming they would normally be taking a laptop computer anyway.  And, I see them as a way of keeping older magazines without the clutter problem that seems to arise, for me at least, with print publications.  I tend to keep magazines along time; so, the digital versions provide a way to keep many editions of a publication without contributing to household clutter.
      « Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 06:41:58 PM by soybean »

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 06:57:15 PM »
      I wish more were available, and the cost of "printing" is minimal, so I can subscribe to many;)