Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: KIDS  (Read 2387 times)

PoppaDave

KIDS
« on: July 21, 2006, 04:20:12 AM »
 [smiley=embarassed.gif]
This is embarassing. My PC has been disassembled, moved, re-assembled so many times the connecters are worn. Now, I can't seem to get sound to work!
Running W2K, SP4 on older x86. Sound card is Aureal 8830, speakers are Altec Lansing (Main is labeled AT6, slave is labeled ACS40).

Have tried several combinations of connections. Internal diagnostics indicate card is installed and OK.

Back side of main spkr has a power switch and five ports (DC Power, SPKR, SUB,A,B). Card has at least three color-coded ports for plugs.

They used to work. Is there an audio or .wav file I can test with?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: KIDS
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 04:47:47 AM »
You'll probably find some under C:\Windows\Media.  Or just search for "*.wav" on your hard drive.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

PoppaDave

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 04:56:49 AM »
Can you offer any assistance with connections?

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 09:43:28 AM »
Make sure you connect the speaker to the correct port on the sound card.  Usually sound cards have colored ports with symbols indicating which is for your speakers and which is for your microphone, and so on.  One example:

Doc
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 09:47:10 AM by pcdoc4christ »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 10:20:37 AM »
Some other things to try:

• Make sure volume is not muted: Click Start > Control Panel.  In Control Panel, select the Switch to Classic View (in Windows XP) and select the Sounds and Audio Devices applet. Clear the Mute check box, and select OK.
  • Reinstall the drivers for the sound card: Right-click My Computer and select Properties.  In System Properties, select the Hardware tab and select the Device Manager button.  In Device Manager, double-click Sound, video and game controllers, and double-click your sound card. Select the Driver tab and select the Uninstall button, and click Yes to the message.  Restart your computer and Windows will detect the sound card and reinstall the driver.

Let us know how it goes,
Doc
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 10:21:20 AM by pcdoc4christ »

PoppaDave

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 06:21:53 PM »
Thanks loads. For your illustration, I assume green is the color I would use to connect to my speakers? I like the idea of deinstall and let W2K rediscover on boot. I've had some strange things happen to this pc since I moved it from home and my cable modem to my cottage and a DSL modem........After I get these speakers/sound working, I'm going to try posting that thread....ONE THING AT A TIME!!!!!

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 06:41:07 PM »
Thanks loads. For your illustration, I assume green is the color I would use to connect to my speakers? ...

Nope, Dave.  Green is the color for headphones.  Black is for speakers, and orange and silver are for additional specialized speakers (to give you surround sound and the like) if you have them.

Hope it works out for you, and let us know if you need more info.

Blessings to you,
Doc
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 06:42:29 PM by pcdoc4christ »

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    « Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 07:21:23 AM »
    Doc , I'm not sure if your 100% there , on all the systems Ive had So far , its always been Green for Front left and Right, even on 2 channel Sound cards, on the Last 3 Surround sound cards its Been, Green Front Left and Right , Black Centre and Bass, Orange For Rear left and right, Pink for Mic, and Blue For line in

and i had 5.1 Sound Blaster
    Then a 7.1 AC97
    Then a 7.1 AC97 High Def.

Edit : i just noticed , on that Pic you posted , Black is for Surround Left & Right, that's not Regular Left and right. Green is normal Left Right, Even tho it says Front.
    « Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 07:24:12 AM by panboy »
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 05:46:24 PM »
    Doc , I'm not sure if your 100% there , on all the systems Ive had So far , its always been Green for Front left and Right, even on 2 channel Sound cards, on the Last 3 Surround sound cards its Been, Green Front Left and Right , Black Centre and Bass, Orange For Rear left and right, Pink for Mic, and Blue For line in...

Thanks for the observation, Panboy.  I agree these are not set in stone.  The image in my above post shows that the green on that sound card is for headphones, only, but i have used systems with green for both headphones and speakers.  Good eye!

8-)