Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP start up page  (Read 2231 times)

sixmorgans

XP start up page
« on: July 29, 2006, 06:31:37 PM »
When my computer starts there are no users listed on the XP start up page.  I had 2 accounts listed, one for me, and the other for the family, and now all it says is to click a user to begin and there are none listed!!  Any help would be greatly apprciated.
Thanks,

GX1_Man

Re: XP start up page
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 06:49:24 PM »
You will have to give some info like what happened prior to this, operating system, etc., etc. See below.

sixmorgans

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 06:55:15 PM »
Prior to this happening, I unplugged the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers.  My wife decided it was time to rearrange our furniture, when I plugged everything back in, that is when the problem started.  
I have tried to bring it up in safe mode, by tappiong the F8 key mentioned in your forum, but it still comes back to the XP user screen, and no users are shown.
I hope this helps explain the problem better.  By the way, I am using my laptop currently.
THanks,

sixmorgans

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 06:56:33 PM »
I should also say it is Windows XP, on a Dell 4140 tower.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 06:58:47 PM »
And do you have a real XP CD to go with it, or a Dell restore CD or what?

F8 is when you see the Dell logo, before the WIndows logo to get it to work, by the way. If that doesn't work, there are other MAJOR issues.

sixmorgans

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 07:07:37 PM »
Sweet, just what I wanted to hear on a Saturday night, yes I do have the original XP cd.  I just paid a guy $200 to fix this thing, it is rather ancient (about 5 years old).  I called him today and he said for $40 he would tell me what to do.  I figured that it was going to be a couple of keystrokes and it would work again.  Somehow, I have the feeling that I may be reinstalling again.
Thanks,

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 07:17:50 PM »
 I just paid a guy $200 to fix this thing, it is rather ancient (about 5 years old).  I called him today and he said for $40 he would tell me what to do.

OK, send me $40!  ;)

A reinstall is not a bad thing. Do you have any data you need to back up first?  If so, you might slave that hard drive to another machine to save your data to a CDRW.

Do you have a CDRW and a CD drive? Have a look here:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1152393515

You might want to think about some imaging software to make this easier next time:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1154041625
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 07:20:36 PM by GX1_Man »