Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: safe mode problem  (Read 2670 times)

yesterday

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    safe mode problem
    « on: July 29, 2006, 07:55:48 AM »
    i cannot start in safe mode i have tried all the versions of safe mode but it dosnt work. system restore also does not work i get this message when i try to use it, "sysytem restore is not able to protect your computer.please restart your computer, and then run system resore again" i have restarted but i still get the same message.

i was googling this and i found i need a boot disk i dont have one and i cant make one because i have a problem. is there someplace i can download it of. i tried bootdisk.com but how do i boot of the floopy.

thnaks for any help.

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      Re: safe mode problem
      « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 08:12:50 AM »
      When the computer starts go into the BIOS. This is usually done by pressing a key such as delete when the computer starts up. Look in the settings for boot priority, boot order, something like that. You usually see a list of three with harddrive, floppy, cdrom. Make a note of their current settings in case you need to revert. Put it in this order, floppy first, cdrom, harddrive. Then when your computer starts it will look in that order for a boot record.

Then put in your boot disk. You have not told us what Windows you are using. If you are using XP, simply put in your XP disk and you can boot from that to repair Windows or format or whatever.

How did this problem start?

yesterday

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 08:19:28 AM »
        i do not have a xp disk and i am using xp. im not sure how the problem started. i just needed to restore and it wouldnt let me.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 08:52:53 AM »
        Everyone needs a real Windows CD sooner or later. In your case it appears to be sooner? How did you get XP on that machine?

What are you trying to make a bootdisk from? What are you hoping to accomplish with that? XP requires a handful of diskettes to boot from floppy.
        « Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 08:54:09 AM by GX1_Man »

yesterday

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 09:14:27 AM »
          i bought the computer and it already had xp on it.  however it is not genuine because after some updates i get the wga thing.

i am making the bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com the quick ones.

i hope to accomplish... er im not sure. im trying to get safe mode to work and system restore. shall i do something else?

Neil

Expert
            « Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 09:15:39 AM »
            I suggest you buy the ever ellusive Windows disk.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 09:28:55 AM »
            Bill Gates says one legal copy per computer. Resistance is futile (and illegal).

Neil

Expert
              « Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 09:39:28 AM »
              Online, and in real life, the number of people who don't have a Windows disk (and the excuses they give) drives me insane.

yesterday

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                « Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 10:14:34 AM »
                i think i need to install system restore it is a file called sr.inf however i can only install it using the cd is it possible to install it using the i386 folder.

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 02:45:32 PM »
                See above.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

yesterday

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                  « Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 07:32:38 AM »
                  i just thought i would share my success here. i've managed to get back system restore without the need of the win xp disk. all the neccesary files were in the i386 folder and i installed it from there. so a woo hoo to me!

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 08:14:49 AM »
                  i bought the computer and it already had xp on it.  however it is not genuine because after some updates i get the wga thing.

This will not solve the above problem with software that Microsoft considers pirated because of the "WGA thing".