Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stoopid Reinstall Question  (Read 4565 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
SCANDISK in SLAX?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2006, 02:08:24 PM »
I am running the Dell Pre-Boot diagnostics. I am finding tons of "uncorrectable data errors" and "address mark not found"s. Well, I guess I have some bad blocks. You think dropping the thing contributed to that???

Yeah, I know, I will need to replace the HD.

BUT, is there something in SLAX that will allow me to run something like Scandisk and "repair" the blocks??

Thanks!
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

GX1_Man

Re: Stoopid Reinstall Question
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2006, 02:41:43 PM »
The drive maker would be the source for that or something like Spinrite, but it's not free there. If the drive is bad it needs to be replaced not "repaired at". Slax can indeed format the drive and seek errors, but so can Windows.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 02:42:15 PM by GX1_Man »

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2006, 10:15:59 PM »
Yeah, I know, I will need to replace the HD.

Slax can indeed format the drive and seek errors, but so can Windows.
Right. My suspicion is that the sectors are bad because of physical trauma. So if I can:
- "Repair" the sectors in SLAX
- Reboot under Windows
- Run a full backup

Then I can replace the drive. But I can't get step two cooking until I get past step one.

That's my plan. I know it's flawed, but I hope it's at least workable.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 10:16:38 PM by rjbinney »
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

GX1_Man

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2006, 10:26:08 PM »
That's my plan. [highlight]I know it's flawed[/highlight], but I hope it's at least workable.

Software can not fix damaged hardware.

Save your data while you can, then change the drive. If you monkey around with it, it could ALL be lost.   ;)