Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive Full  (Read 3133 times)

blackcloud71

Hard Drive Full
« on: July 19, 2006, 12:13:46 PM »
I have a dell desktop with two hard drives.  I keep getting a message that my "c" drive is full and I need to delete some programs---am unable to even defrag due to lack of disk space.  The second drive has plenty of space but I don't know how to balance between to two drives.

the c drive has windows XP. Microsoft Office, Adobe acrobat and other programs.

Drive "c"    7.68 mgs used of 8.0           Drive "m" 3.12 used of 10.0

is there a way to transfer programs from one drive to the other in order to free up some space on the primary drive.  When i open the remove program utility it does not show what program is on what dirve.

thansk, Rick

pcdoc4christ

Re: Hard Drive Full
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 12:58:17 PM »
Blackcloud:

Have you considered having Windows move your My Documents folder to the other hard drive?

1. Right-click My Documents and click Properties.

2. In the My Documents Properties dialog box, select the Target tab and click Move.

3. In the Select a Destination dialog box, find the folder on the other hard drive where you want to move your My Documents folder, or browse to the other hard drive and click the Make New Folder button, then select OK.

Windows will move the files and folders of your My Documents folder to the other hard drive.

You can also have Windows move the pagefile to the other hard drive, which is quite large.  Let us know if you need help doing this.

Please tell us how it works out,
Doc
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 12:59:49 PM by pcdoc4christ »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 01:56:54 PM »
Another option would be to back up all that is on the larger of the 2 drives...then depending on the HDD manufacturer use their disk cloning software available free online and clone the smaller drive to the larger one...
You can then format the smaller drive, mhook it up as  a slave and use it for storage.

With the price of HDD's i'd suggest just watching the ads and pick up say an 80 Gig or so for that machine.

Programmers these days don't have to pay attention to size like they used to so you see programs and OS's HUGE compared to what they used to be...

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 04:04:37 PM »
Your documents are probably miniscule in comparison to the size of the programs loaded on the C drive. How about uninstalling a few and choosing to reload them on the drive with all the space? Especially less often used programs.  ;)

Michael

Adviser
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 08:12:46 AM »
    is there a way to transfer programs from one drive to the other in order to free up some space on the primary drive.  When i open the remove program utility it does not show what program is on what dirve.
    Most 3rd party program (those you install) allow you to choose the installation directory.
    You may consider re-install some space occupying programs into drive M.  

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 09:35:03 AM »
      Another option would be to purchase/install Partition Magic on the 2nd hard drive, then use the utility that comes with PM to move a lot of your stuff to the 2nd drive.

Alan <><  ;)
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 03:56:22 PM »
      You do not need Partition Magic or any other third party program to resolve this problem.
      « Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 03:56:45 PM by GX1_Man »

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 05:16:23 PM »
      You do not need Partition Magic or any other third party program to resolve this problem.

Agreed.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "