Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: pls help...incorrect free space reported...  (Read 4980 times)

karthik316_1999

pls help...incorrect free space reported...
« on: July 27, 2006, 09:08:55 AM »
i got a 250GB sata drive installed win xp pro SP2 on the c: drive(43.9 GB NTFS)... i got a great problem...when i select all the files in the drives(including hidden and system files) and select properties it says (SIZE :2.01GB , SIZE ON DISK : 1.92 GB)

however when i right click the drive and select properties it shows (USED SPACE:4.01GB, FREE SPACE: 39.9GB)???!!!

how is this possible?? where is that extra 2GB space....i have not enabled sytem restore of any of the drives too...and no files in my recycle bin too.....any help pls/

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: pls help...incorrect free space reported...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 09:54:25 AM »
Is this drive partitioned?  If not, then why aren't you asking about the difference between 250GB and 43.9GB?

karthik316_1999

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 11:18:17 AM »
ya buddy of course its partitioned as 5 NTFS partitions each 43.9GB,43.9GB,47.8GB,48.3GB and 48.7GB

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 11:44:18 AM »
What about your Virtual Memory setting?  How much space is allocated to it?  Maybe that's the difference.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 03:31:57 PM »

karthik316_1999

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 08:28:00 AM »
yeah guys...the virtual memory is the culprit its 2048MB...now what u suggest..leave it like that or change to the windows recommended 1534MB...i already got 1GB of RAM

karthik316_1999

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 08:30:45 AM »
and 1 more thing,my HDD LED is on continously...my vendor that happens with a SATA HDD or maybe some other reason like the mobo is not designed for SATA LED etc etc...however if i connect my 40GB IDE HDD also as a secondary master things are fine.... is it ok if it is lit continously when the SATA HDD alone is connected....?

and as per HDD life pro,my SATA HDD temp is shown as 47 degress...but the max temp is indicated as 30 degress..is it ok or is anything wrong...??however my 40GB IDE HDD is cool enough at 43 degress for which the max temp is indicated as 56 degress...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 08:44:13 AM by karthik316_1999 »

bbtr

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 09:11:19 AM »
I have the same problem and registered here to look for help to solve it.

My hard drive is Excelstor Technology J880 (ATA), 80 GB. It is split in two partitions - D and E.
I have no problems with E.
On D my folders (plus hidden and system) are 28,4 GB.  
But when I right click the drive and select properties it shows USED SPACE: 40,3 GB.

Almost 12 GB more!

I have disabled sytem restore.

What could be the reason? I did error-check and defragmenting but they didn't help.
The article from the microsoft site is unclear in the most crucial place.
It says:
"2.      From the Edit menu, click Add Value."
And nothing more.
But on the Edit menu I have New - Key, String Value, Binary Value, DWORD Value, Multi-String Value,
and Expandable Sting Value.
Microsoft help, really. >:(

So, could you please help, anyone????

P.S.: And it is not Virtual Memory that is the problem, I checked and it is not enabled for this drive.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 09:19:47 AM by bbtr »

soybean

Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 10:41:46 AM »
yeah guys...the virtual memory is the culprit its 2048MB...now what u suggest..leave it like that or change to the windows recommended 1534MB...i already got 1GB of RAM
I would change it to the Windows recommended 1534MB.  If you have some reason to think you actually need more, open Task Manager, leave it running while you're using your computer and see what it shows for actual "PF Usage".  

soybean

Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 10:56:13 AM »
and as per HDD life pro,my SATA HDD temp is shown as 47 degress...but the max temp is indicated as 30 degress..is it ok or is anything wrong...??however my 40GB IDE HDD is cool enough at 43 degress for which the max temp is indicated as 56 degress...
Where did you get the notion that "the max temp is indicated as 30 degress"?  Granted, 47 may be a little on the high side but 30 seems unrealistically low.  What's your cooling configuration (# fans, and their placement, and air flow direction)?

and 1 more thing,my HDD LED is on continously...my vendor that happens with a SATA HDD or maybe some other reason like the mobo is not designed for SATA LED etc etc...however if i connect my 40GB IDE HDD also as a secondary master things are fine.... is it ok if it is lit continously when the SATA HDD alone is connected....?
I don't have an answer to this.  Anyone?

karthik316_1999

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 12:58:37 PM »
ya soybean ur replies were all helpful...the actual page file usage is jus 223MB!! maybe it shoots up while playin games or something..i guess i will leave it to 2GB and reduce it in future if at all i require any space....

and the cooling,yeah i got the max temp notion from the same software..the existing and the max temperature are both indicated...i dunno if it means something else..

jus now i connected two additional fans on the left side of my cabinet and now the temparature is 38 degress... :) ;)..thats ok right?

one more option showing the performance and health of the HDD ..they both are just 48% each...why would this happen in a new HDD?

once again thanks...!

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 03:14:45 PM »
Windows deaults are fine 99% of the time. Best not to monkey withthose things unless you have specific needs and knowledge.  ;)

soybean

Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 05:55:39 PM »
You feel safe at 38 degrees C.  Here's reference which says, "the normal recommended working temperature of a hard disk is 35-40°[ch1057]."  http://www.hddtemp.com/home/index.html

What did you use to test the performance and health of the HDD?

dvb-source

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 08:48:02 PM »
i advise you update your moterboard bios,maybe your motherboard can't support large capacity hard disk.

karthik316_1999

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 11:27:43 PM »
i got those infos..from the software that i use its called hddlife..

www.hddlife.com