Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard Key Assigning  (Read 8884 times)

Kevin Melia

Keyboard Key Assigning
« on: September 08, 2004, 10:20:23 AM »
I've been trying to configure this digit ' (elision mark) into one of my keyboard keys because I cant input it using other methods in the program I'm wanting to use it.

I've tried using 3 different software that I've found on the net, but none would allow me to paste it into the program. And they wouldn't include the character in there "digit lists".

Anyway, any help would be great. Also, if its complicated to do, please explain in laymans terms lol. I'm really no good with this kind of stuff.

Thanks

Raptor

Re: Keyboard Key Assigning
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 10:25:24 AM »
Can you not use the Special Mark tool found with Windows to see what fonts contains the mark?

Kevin Melia

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 11:03:38 AM »
If a font can show the mark, does that mean it contains it?  ???

The original document I had copied the mark from came from the programs instruction .nfo file.

I need to use that mark in the program, not as typing it in, but using it to open a menu. The program doesn't support text.

And the only way I can think of getting it to work is to assign the character to an unused key on my keyboard....... unless there are other ways to do it?

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 11:29:12 AM »
You can use Alt + numpad (That you can lock with Numlock) to create icons such as ¿ and other  markings you donot use often.

¿ = alt + 0191

Windows Special Mark (Freely translated from Dutch) tells you what numbers to type in order for that mark to show that you are currently viewing with the program.

If a font can show the mark, does that mean it contains it?  

I donot quite understand your question, but I think this is what you want to know;

Not all fonts have the same icons. They simply are not added. You can see what markings and types of letters a font has by using.. Yes, you guessed it, Windows Special Mark tool Located In Start -> Programs -> 'Bureau accessoires' (Donot know the correct English term) -> System work tools (Again, donot know the correct term)

This may differ for Pre-Windows XP operating systems.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 11:34:05 AM by Raptor »

Kevin Melia

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 12:02:16 PM »
I think I understand now, thanks :)  

I'm not sure which option to choose when I enter System Tools in Windows XP pro.

I goto Start ->  All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools..... Then I am left with these options;

Backup
Disk Cleanup
Disk Defragmenter
Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
Scheduled Tasks
Security Center
System Information
System Restore

Is it one of these? There is another option

Start ->  All Programs -> Accessories -> Accessibility

Magnifier
Narrator
On-screen keyboard
Utility Manager

I'm not sure if any of these are the english version of "Windows Special Mark" but I dont want to mess around with anything incase I destroy my computer or something  ;)

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 12:33:37 PM »
I have taken the liberty to put my creative skills to use.

I have Windows XP Upgrade. I did not upgrade, I only used the Windows 98 CD-ROM as proper authorization.

Perhaps it is not installed by default on Windows XP Pro. You can install additional Windows components by using the Add/remove Software menu and selecting the corresponding tab.

Sean

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 12:51:42 PM »
On XP go..... Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools> Character Map.....The english equivalent of special marks and follow raptors instructions from there....

2k dummy

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 03:25:23 PM »
Character map in windows only shows to use the keystroke for the character specified. alt+039 will yield the character. XP uses the unicode character set and windows versions prior to XP (except NT*) use the ANSI character set. In both ANSI and unicode the decimal value is 39. The ANSI hex value is 0x27 and the unicode hex value is U+0027.

*NT uses a combination of ANSI and ascii but should not be a problem for the specified character.

Kevin Melia

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 07:19:08 AM »
Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools> Character Map

I dont have the Character Map option in my system tools...... I am using Windows XP pro, you think its just for XP Home version?

I checked the link posted by merlin_2 and it says you can do a search for 'charmap' in run, but it doesn't find anything...... ???

Does anyone here have Windows XP Pro and do tehy have the Character Map option?

Start ->  All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools..... Then I am left with these options;

Backup
Disk Cleanup
Disk Defragmenter
Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
Scheduled Tasks
Security Center
System Information
System Restore

Thats all I get. No other options  :'( :'(

By the way, thanks for your help everyone, I really appreciate it  :)

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2004, 10:33:36 AM »
As I said, see if you can install it by going to the Add/remove software function and look for the 'add extra Windows components' tab on the left. Perhaps you can add it from there.

I use Windows XP Home and Charmap does work here. You may have to install it first.

Kevin Melia

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2004, 03:02:45 PM »
OK I installed it from my Windows XP CD and can use it now.

But I'm having trouble getting the character to show using the NUMPAD.

The code to type is Alt+0027 right? Each time I hold alt and press the number then release Alt, it is supposed to show the character correct? I have set the character and copied it. But I cant get it working. My numlock is ON, I type the code while holding Alt, and the cursor moves across as if I was using the space key.

I tried typing in other codes and it works fine........ but not with U+0027.......... even U+0028 works  :'(

*censored*... I thought it would be easier than this  :-[  I'm determined to get it working, but I always miss the small things. There must be something I'm doing wrong.

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 03:05:27 PM »
Could you perhaps explain again what it exactly is you're trying to do?

I understand that you somehow require one of the special marks to be copied into a program in order to have it run?

2k dummy

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 03:08:09 PM »
You don't need character map to do it. If had paid attention to my post above, you would have seen tha alt+039 is what you need. If you insist on doing things the hard way, thats OK too. ;D