Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Specific Programs Lag  (Read 6050 times)

BDJ

Specific Programs Lag
« on: September 09, 2004, 12:43:40 AM »
I'm running an AMD Athlon at 1.33 GHz with 512 RAM.  It has always run quickly on all programs, but recently it started lagging out on programs that it used to run just fine.  Specifically, it will slow to a crawl and use every bit of the processor to run mIRC and the game rooms at the MSN Zone.  I'm not sure if it has something to do with the scrolling text or what, but I have a DSL connection that has always been speedy in the past.  On other tasks it still runs just fine, and Norton (which I keep up to date) hasn't found anything.  Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Specific Programs Lag
    « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 12:54:21 AM »
     BDJ.....I would read the following......
    http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=14;action=display;num=1089181015
    Norton is a very good program , but it will not pickup the spyware ,adware and other potentialy malicous pests that ride the backs of things we open or download.
    I think ,your pc is probably full of these things and are slowing it down ........D/L and install the programs above and then scan your system ......you will be surprised at the differance.

let us know
    dl65  ???
    « Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 12:55:08 AM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 03:10:44 AM »
    Scan for Spyware, trojans and viruses.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 12:22:39 PM »
    what does the events log error tell you... control panel....admin /tools...norton is a bit of a resource hogger....this may also help>http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 12:31:27 PM »
    You know, Merlin, there is an "Edit" button..

BDJ

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 05:49:11 PM »
    I ran the Ad/Spyware killing programs listed on the link, and it did improve my overall performance somewhat, but those two apps (mIRC and MSN Zone game rooms) still lag me out like crazy.  As I mentioned above, this problem didn't start until farily recently, and I haven't made any significant changes to my computer since before they started being problematic.  Could it have something to do with my internet access or "packet size"?

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 12:01:01 AM »
    Are you saying they "lag" as in poor Internet connection or are they slowing your computer down?

There is a considerable difference..

rexvalidus

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 12:57:20 AM »
    They slow down my computer itself, not the internet...they hog the whole processor...the internet is still speedy even when they are running.  Sorry for not clarifying that.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004, 01:17:29 AM »
      rexvalidus......you say your system ran those apps fine until recently.....Have you updated any software or added any progams just prior to the start of the "lag"
      by any chance have you updated to sp2 ? Because from what you say ...something in your pc has changed .

let us know
      dl65  ???

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004, 05:48:35 AM »
      They slow down my computer itself, not the internet...they hog the whole processor...the internet is still speedy even when they are running.  Sorry for not clarifying that.

I would recommend doing these things (On a regular basis)

• Scan for viruses/trojans
      • Scan for spyware/adware
      • Defragment your hard drive(s)
      • Cleanse registry
      • Remove redundant files
      • Uninstall programs no longer required.

Cleaning the computer case is very important too, Dust may be creating a problem for your fans.
      « Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 05:49:21 AM by Raptor »