Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrade from 6 to 7 gone wrong  (Read 4213 times)

Silent_Bob

Upgrade from 6 to 7 gone wrong
« on: July 28, 2006, 10:54:17 PM »
I have Internet Explorer 6, and tried to upgrade to 7. After I installed it from microsoft.com, I began setup. After a while, it said that it could not be installed and that I should restart to undo everything. So I did. Once my computer rebooted, I started getting messages about things not being able to start because file iertuti.dll or somehting like that was missing. I got this message for a bunch of things like Windows Media Player, Norton, etc. So I tried the last known good configuration thing, and that didn't work. Then a friend emailed me the file, and I put it into the System32 folder, and now the message doesn't come anymore. But, Internet Explorer still doesn't work, every page says page cannot be displayed. Don't know if this matters, but I got some annoying malware that might have something to do with this. Can anyone help me?

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: Upgrade from 6 to 7 gone wrong
    « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 12:05:31 AM »
    Go to Add/Remove programs on the Control Panel. Make sure "Show Updates" is listed. Find IE 7 near the bottom and remove it.

And stay away from betas. ;)
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Silent_Bob

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 06:51:06 PM »
    I went to Add/Remove w/ the show updates checked, and found IE 7. I assume you mean remove the Update for Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3 (KB922880) subcategory, of the main category Windows Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3, cause the main IE category didn't have a remove option. But when I tried to remove the subcategory, it said Setup has detected that Windows Internet Explorer has been upgraded on your computer since KB922880 was installed. If you remove KB922880 your system will be unusable. The removal of KB922880 cannot continue.
    I'm assuming this means Windows thinks that I only want to get rid of the update, but the update pretty much is IE7 so it won't let me?  

Plus, I forgot to say in my first post, I tried to remove Internet Explorer from Add/Remove Windows Components, but after rebooting, the files were still in Program Files and nothing had changed.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 06:53:24 PM »
    It sounds like you have totally FUBAR'ed the system then, at least in terms of an uninstall.

Do you have a real Windows CD if you need to reinstall it and get IE functioning?

As mentioned above NO beta product should be installed if you aren't prepared to hose your system.

Silent_Bob

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 06:55:10 PM »
    No, I don't have a Windows CD key  :'(

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 07:02:37 PM »
    Everyone needs a real Windows CD sooner or later.

In your case it looks like sooner.  ;)

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=368

Silent_Bob

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 07:26:21 PM »
    So there's no other way to fix this besides spending 100 bucks?

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 07:32:22 PM »
    I went to Add/Remove w/ the show updates checked, and found IE 7. I assume you mean remove the Update for Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3 (KB922880) subcategory, of the main category Windows Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3, cause the main IE category didn't have a remove option. But when I tried to remove the subcategory, it said Setup has detected that Windows Internet Explorer has been upgraded on your computer since KB922880 was installed. [highlight]If you remove KB922880 your system will be unusable. [/highlight]The removal of KB922880 cannot continue.
    I'm assuming this means Windows thinks that I only want to get rid of the update, but the update pretty much is IE7 so it won't let me?  

Sounds like it to me.

infoseeker

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 10:06:01 PM »
    But i think CCLEANER the latest version can do the uninstalling ie7

BTW, did you apply this method
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/ie/releasenotes/default.aspx

;) infoseeker ;)

Silent_Bob

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 02:04:56 PM »
    But i think CCLEANER the latest version can do the uninstalling ie7

BTW, did you apply this method
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/ie/releasenotes/default.aspx

;) infoseeker ;)

Unfortunately, neither method worked  :'(

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 02:59:37 PM »
    See Reply #3 up there  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 06:00:50 AM »
    You got away with running an illegal copy for so long; perhaps it's about time you offered your sacrifice to appease the Microsoft gods.

At least $100 is easier to come by than a nubile virgin maiden...
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 03:01:45 PM »
      If you're running XP,  just restore to a  date earlier than when you installed IE7.  

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!