Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help installing MS02-039 Patch  (Read 5154 times)

Junebugbetty

Help installing MS02-039 Patch
« on: August 06, 2006, 03:45:51 PM »
I need someone to explain these installation instructions to me as I try to install this patch. I know very little about where to find things like SQL Servers. I have done searches on the internet to find what pack of SQL I have but I don't know where to run what that tell me to run. I dont even have the path where it tells me to install this patch at.  This patch is to stop attacks from Helkerns which Kaspersky keeps repelling more than 10+ while I'm surfing the net.  If someone could help me I would be so grateful.

===================================================================How to Apply Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Hotfix 8.00.0636 for Ssnetlib.dll
===================================================================

Please read this file thoroughly before you proceed with any of the hotfix installation steps.

Hotfixes are intended for interim use until the next service pack is available. When the next service pack becomes available, you should upgrade immediately.

When you run a hotfix, if conditions arise that require the assistance of Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS), you may be asked to upgrade immediately to a newer hotfix or the next service pack. You may be required to install the upgrade to expedite troubleshooting and problem resolution.

This hotfix requires the installation of Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2. You MUST install SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 before you apply this hotfix.

This hotfix contains the following files:

Ssnetlib.dll - Server-side Network Library
Ssnetlib.pdb - Server-side Network Library symbol file

If you install this hotfix on a server that is running Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition with clustering enabled, please use the section titled "Hotfix Installation Steps for SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition with Clustering Enabled" for installation instructions. All other environments should use the section titled "Standard Hotfix Installation Steps."

In the instructions that follow, the designation <installation path for this SQL Server instance> refers to the path on your disk in which the SQL Server files are installed. This path is typically <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Mssql. Note that the Mssql directory may be MSSQL$<Instance Name> for a named instance installation.

Please contact Microsoft PSS if you have any questions or problems with this hotfix build.

Microsoft PSS
Critical Problem Resolution

Hotfix Installation Steps for SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition with Clustering Enabled

1. Install SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2. Do not proceed any further until you  successfully install SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2.

2. Navigate to a node of the cluster where the SQL Server instance is currently not running.

3. Make a back up copy of the ssnetlib.dll files from the <installation path for this SQL Server instance>\Binn folder and the ssnetlib.pdb files if they exist from the <installation path for this SQL Server instance>\Binn\Dll folder.

4. Copy the ssnetlib.dll files from the hotfix self-extracting archive into the <installation path for this SQL Server instance>\Binn folder and the ssnetlib.pdb files into the <installation path for this SQL Server instance>\Binn\Dll folder.

5. Failover the SQL Server instance to the node in which the new binaries are now installed.

6. Test the scenario for the bug that this build fixes to verify that your problem is resolved. Notify Microsoft PSS immediately if your problem is still unresolved.

7. If, for any reason, you encounter a problem with this hotfix build, you may go back to the previous build by restoring the files you backed up in step 3.

8. After you verify the hotfix, repeat steps 1 through 3 on the remaining nodes in the cluster.

Standard Hotfix Installation Steps

1. Install SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2. Do not proceed any further until you successfully install SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2.

2. Shut down the Microsoft SQL Server and SQL Server Agent services.

3. Make a back up copy of the ssnetlib.dll files from the <installation path for this SQL Server instance>\Binn folder and the ssnetlib.pdb files from the <installation path for this SQL Server instance>\Binn\dll folder.

4. Copy the ssnetlib.dll files from the hotfix self-extracting archive into the <installation path for this SQL Server instance>\Binn folder and the ssnetlib.pdb files into <installation path for this SQL Server instance>\Binn\Exe folder.

5. Start the Microsoft SQL Server and SQL Server Agent services.

6. Test the scenario for the bug that this build fixes to verify that your problem is resolved. Notify Microsoft PSS immediately if your problem is still unresolved.

7. If, for any reason, you encounter a problem with this hotfix build, you may go back to the previous build by restoring the files you backed up in step 3.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 05:30:40 PM by Junebugbetty »