Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing Linux without a CD-ROM?  (Read 10216 times)

streetwatcher

Installing Linux without a CD-ROM?
« on: August 14, 2006, 03:53:21 AM »
Hi there,

I am definitely not a techie.  My son obtained a redundant laptop with no software and apparently a wiped hard-drive.  I thought to install Linux.  
First of all I installed MS-DOS 5 from a old disk I had.  This installed on the hard-drive wich it now recognised, but it  didn't recognise the CD-ROM drive.  I identified the CD-ROM as a QSI 242 but I haven't found a driver.  Installing 3 diffrent generic drivers, and following the instructions of modifying autexec.bat and config.sys, have all been unsuccessful.

The driver forum has been taken over by poker and ringtones.  Can anyone help?

If I can't use the CD drive is there any other way of installing Linux?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Installing Linux without a CD-ROM?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 04:37:08 AM »
It can be done.  It can be very difficult!  Do you have a floppy drive for this laptop?  Can you boot from it?  I think SuSE might still provide boot floppies - it takes a few, and can be painfully slow, but it works.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 06:35:32 AM »
Some specs on the machine and the brand would be helpful in determining what will run. If it has 8 meg. of RAM, then DOS seems a better plan, and infinitely easier to do.

More info needed.

streetwatcher

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 07:17:23 AM »
The m/c is a Tiny ( a defunct British company)  A440.  On the front it says it has a Celeron processor.  Dir says it has 785M free memory after DOS is installed.  It was originally set up with Windows 98.  If I need any more info that DOS can provide I need help in getting it as I haven't used DOS for 10 years and all the manuals have been ditched.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 09:47:57 AM »
Can you get into the BIOS/setup screen to view the actual components? The key combo to be pressed to get there is probably displayed onscreen when the machine starts.

Tiny A440 laptops were originally manufactured by FIC (First International Computers), in Hong Kong. The Tiny A series range includes the A320, A340, A360, and others, they are all manufactured by FIC. They were then shipped to other manufacturers, which stuck their own badges on them. Advent and Tiny are the ones known using A440's.

As for the RAM, usually they came fitted with one stick of 128. The maximum memory the A440 can take is 256MB, according to FIC's datasheets, but they may take more.  The RAM needed is SO-DIMM PC-133 144 pins

Can you boot with a Win98 boot disk? (free at www.bootdisk.com)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 09:54:51 AM by GX1_Man »

streetwatcher

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 09:54:18 AM »
Nothing to see at start-up that would give any info

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 12:23:14 PM »
And your responses to the other questions...?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 12:23:25 PM by robpomeroy »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

streetwatcher

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 12:47:32 PM »
Sorry, I missed the question about the boot disk.

I downloaded boot98.exe onto a 3.5".  The m/c won't start up from it - non-system disk in drive - and when i try to run the boot98 after starting up with DOS it says This program cannot run in DOS mode.

Am I doing this right?

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 01:26:34 PM »
Download the file to your hard drive and double click on it with a formatted floppy in the drive. THAT will be your boot disk.

streetwatcher

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 01:58:30 PM »
Thanx, that works.  Now I have a CDROM drive.

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 06:43:12 PM »
Glad you are all fixed up and thanks for posting back.  ;)

Once you get all up and running download and run Everest Home and run the Report (under the Help Menu Button) and print it out. You may want to post it here as well for our edification as well. The motherboard model wil be important for any future plans and ALL of that info will be necessary to get drivers, etc.

streetwatcher

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 04:26:11 AM »
Ok, next problem.  I have downloaded Everest Home and written it onto a RW CD.  When I try to run Everest on the Tiny it comes up with:-
CDR103: CDROM not High Sierra or ISO-9660 format reading Drive E

I can't see any way of changing the format on my WXP m/c

Any clues for the clueless?

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 06:43:58 AM »
What is the make and model of the drive? WHat is the BIOS date? What is the motherboard model shown?

Can you try using a real CD instead of a CDRW?

streetwatcher

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 09:56:24 AM »
The drive is a QSI CdROM 242.
The BIOS info is what I was trying to load Everest to find out.

Yes, it does work with a commercial data CDROM.  Is it anything to do with speed?  My CD-RW box says 'For Hi-Speed drives only'  but the Tiny drive will read an older, slower speed CD-RW.  I have no empty slower CDRWs to hand or any CDRs so I'll have to pop down the store to get some if this is the answer.

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 10:55:41 AM »
It may work just fine with a standard CDR. Here's some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9660