Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Error Message  (Read 7237 times)

Shahid Iqbal

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Error Message
« on: September 10, 2004, 08:23:46 AM »
I was running WindowsXP Professional on my Compaq DeskproPIII 733 Mhz computer. A few days back the system was unable to start. I formatted the hard disk. And now I am trying to install the WindowsXP Professional. Installation stops with the following message:  PFN_LIST_CORRUPT - STOP 0x0000004E. Can someone help how to install WindowsXP and solve this problem? Thanks a lot.

Shahid Iqbal

Re: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Error Message
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 09:38:27 AM »
Hi Raptor!

Thanks for your advice.

Below is the advice given by Jimholly at www.suggestafix.com that helped to solve this problem:

Welcome to SAF, shahid397!

I'm not familiar with this one (I'm running Win2K), but found in some searching that this can be caused by defective RAM, either the system RAM or Video RAM. Also found this was an issue with some nVidia cards, and even a bad network card. I'd try changing some of these items if an extra video card is available. You can remove any unnecessary cards from the system. If you have multiple sticks of RAM, try reloading XP with just one stick, then the other if that doesn't work, to determine if it is a bad stick of the stuff.

There's also a troubleshooting page in the Microsoft Knowledgebase for this. It's listed for Windows 2000, and MS says somewhere that this is usually only a Windows 2000 error, but there's plenty of XP users with posts on this one in other forums.

Thanks a lot.

Raptor

Re: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Error Message
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 10:00:33 AM »
Thank you for posting the answer to your question, not many people bother to come back.