Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP!!!!  (Read 1921 times)

Lindenp

HELP!!!!
« on: August 21, 2006, 02:08:03 AM »
I was tidying up my old computer in order to lend to a friend.  ;D. I was in the add/delete software section and deleted a hot fix for windows XP. It then rebooted. I now cannot get into anything at all.  :'(  

I keep getting a message that "SHLWAPI.dll" is missing from windows.exe in the SHCreateThreadRef in the dynamic Link library.  :-[

I have located this on my new computer but have no way of copying it on to the old computer!!

Can't get into windows at all. I have just got a picture. nothing else. Please, Please help.!!!   :'(

GX1_Man

Re: HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 05:57:14 AM »
Can you boot to safe mode? (F8 before the Windows logo) From there perhaps you could do a system restore to a time before this faux pas.

A lesson learned about deleting things too?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 05:57:50 AM by GX1_Man »

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 10:48:52 AM »
    [highlight]"I have located this on my new computer but have no way of copying it on to the old computer!! " [/highlight]

You don't tell us enough about the computers you're dealing with.  

Do both pcs have a floppy drive?  If so you can copy the file from your existing computer, boot the troubled one with a Linux live-cd, then copy the file.  If no floppy try a flash drive instead.

You can also, if it's XP, boot to a cd, choose repair, and when you get to the DOS prompt, use a floppy to copy the file into place.

Alan <><  :D[highlight][/highlight][highlight][/highlight]
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 03:50:15 PM »
    Or also boot into SafeMode and run Windows update...it should note the missing update and do it auto...

patio.   8-)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "