Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: synchronizing movies with subtitles  (Read 3009 times)

mido

synchronizing movies with subtitles
« on: August 21, 2006, 12:21:34 AM »
so any solution for this problem .... the movie doesnt go with the subtitle ..... any chance to synchronize them up ?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: synchronizing movies with subtitles
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 12:46:00 AM »
A little more info on what you are trying to accomplish and someone will be along shortly...

patio.    8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mido

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 03:50:29 AM »
i thought i made myself clear .... anyway , let me put it in different words

the problem is : the subtitle doesnt go with the movie , the actor says smthng and the subtitle says smthng else .... there is a time difference between the two .... is there any way to fix that ?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 07:03:36 AM »
Do you see some options on screen at the beginning of the movie to select subtitle settings?  Have you experimented with that?  

What software are you using to play DVDs?  Does it have some menu options for changing subtitle behavior?

mido

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 09:36:38 AM »
no , i dont see any options...

i use windows media player classic with k-lite megapack codec .... there are options for subtitles yes ... but i cant find anything to achieve my goal .... here's a pic for the options if this could help

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 10:15:28 AM »
the problem is : the subtitle doesnt go with the movie , the actor says smthng and the subtitle says smthng else .... there is a time difference between the two .... is there any way to fix that ?
Can you elaborate on this?  Are you talking about a movie where the actor may have actually been speaking one language but you can opt to display another language in text on the screen, or hear the movie in a different language?

I really haven't watched many movies on my computer.  But, I know with one DVD I watched, starting the DVD displayed some options which really seemed to be displayed from within the movie screen and not from the application being used to play the DVD.  

Again, I have to admit my understanding of how these subtitles work is very limited.  But, isn't the on-screen behavior you mentioned fairly common with subtitles?  I mean, how can you have good lip-sync when the actor was actually speaking one language but you've elected to hear it in another language?

And, if you're not talking about different languages, don't some movies just get made with poor lip-sync for this purpose?  In other words, maybe the problem is not your software, it's just poor quality movie recording.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 10:21:25 AM by soybean »

mido

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 11:19:38 AM »
actually the movie is in english and the subtitles in english too .... also the movie is a DVD rip so no poor quality is involved here ... and i think i can tell whether the actor is saying the words that appear on the screen or not
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 11:20:36 AM by mido »

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 11:34:17 AM »
.... also the movie is a DVD rip so no poor quality is involved here ...
I think you don't understand the point.  The original DVD may have been a shiny new one, in excellent condition.  That's not the point.  If the film production company did a poor job of synchronizing subtitles, then you have no control over that, and ripping has nothing to do with it.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 01:39:58 PM »
mido, can you try playing that movie in another computer or a regular DVD player and see how it works?  This should give you clear evidence of whether or not your computer is playing it right.

mido

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 08:33:38 PM »
soybean ,  i think that you didnt get my point

i am not talking about one specific movie .... but all the movies ..... in general

i want a way to synchronize subtitles with the movieS in general .... that's all am asking
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 08:34:02 PM by mido »

soybean

Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 09:08:33 PM »
OK, mido, I just did a Google search on synchronizing movie subtitles and the first hit should be of interest to you: WeetHet - Video - Synchronizing subtitles for your DivX
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 09:09:20 PM by soybean »