Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wirless Router/Internet problem  (Read 3608 times)

74Fireman

Wirless Router/Internet problem
« on: August 22, 2006, 08:00:11 PM »
Please speek slowely and use small words I do not understand computers and have gotten in over my head.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Just upgraded from dial up internet to Fiber Optic Broadband, Broadband company ran the cable to my house into a "Gateway" that they say works like a cable modem but because of the Fiber Optic a cable modem won't work.  From that gatway it goes to a wirless router I have installed and spent 2+ hours on the phone with Zytel setting up with my laptop wired to it.  Long story short my laptop will go through the router and access the internet if it is physically plugged in with an Ethernet cable.  Wirlessly it won't get online, it allows me to locate and connect to my wirless connection but when I go to open my browser it prompts me to utilize my dial up internet or work Off Line.  I hooked up a wirless USB device to one of my desktops and followed the set up wizard that was with the device, that desktop conects to my connection and allows me online, so I know the router is working.  I tried installing the USB device on another desktop and am having the same problem as my lap top.  It allows me to connect to my wirless connection but won't let me on line.  I know this is most likely a setting on the individule computers but have spent too many hours looking on my own.

Please Help.  Thanks

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Wirless Router/Internet problem
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 08:06:56 PM »
If you're using Internet Explorer as your web browser, go to Tools, Internet Options, and select the Connections tab.  Which item is checked there?

Also, is the laptop farther away from the router than the computer with which you succeeded in getting a wireless connection?  Does your laptop give any indication of signal strength?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 08:09:04 PM by soybean »

74Fireman

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 08:31:01 PM »
As far as the laptop goes the signal strength is Excellent, as for the internet connection I will have to come back to that one, I'm at work until the morning and won't know unless I get ahold of my wife and have her check.  Thanks for the speedy reply, I'll be back.

74Fireman

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 09:47:21 PM »
OK, I'm back,
In my internet options it appears to be set up for dial up. Can someone give me step by step instructions for making this work for wireless?  Thanks in advance!