Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help, my partitions are missing  (Read 3160 times)

Jime

Help, my partitions are missing
« on: September 12, 2004, 10:27:28 AM »
I am running WIN98 on my PC with a master and a slave drive.  Each drive is 40GB and separated into a primary and two logical drives.  

Because of a lot of junk that had installed itself from the internet, that I couldn't get to delete, and a lot of unpredictable behavior I decided to reinstall WIN98.  First I reformatted just the C: drive.

Once everything was installed I was only able to see the drives associated with my master drive.  I went into FDISK to see if I could tell what was going on and discovered that the partitions were all missing and only a singe partition of 21%, labelled "NON-DOS", existed on the slave drive.  Finding that strange I thought I would try to correct things by creating a DOS partition (hoping it would replace the NON-DOS).  All it did was make another partition.  I exited FDISK without rebooting.  Concerned about this change I restarted FDISK and removed the partition.  Again, after doing either action I did not allow the computer to reboot for the actions to take effect.  

I then shut down the PC, disconnected the slave drive and allowed the system to reboot without it (hoping that any 'changes' that I had made would not take effect).   Next I shut down, reconnected the slave drive and rebooted again.  FDISK is now showing the singe partition of 21% labelled "NON-DOS".   Hopefully I am back to where I started.

Is there any hope of recovering all of my database, photo and program files from my slave drive?  ???

Computer_Commando

Re: Help, my partitions are missing
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 12:48:06 PM »
...after doing either action I did not allow the computer to reboot for the actions to take effect...

...hoping that any 'changes' that I had made would not take effect...

Is there any hope of recovering all of my database, photo and program files from my slave drive?  ???

Fdisk changes are immediate, you just can't see the change until you reboot.
http://www.computerhope.com/fdiskhlp.htm

If new install of Win98 is FAT16, it would not recognize slave drive partition if it was FAT32.