Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Beyond Good & Evil....Just Evil!!!!!  (Read 10878 times)

Candy

Beyond Good & Evil....Just Evil!!!!!
« on: September 12, 2004, 04:23:39 PM »
Okay, here goes.  Every time I try to to play BGE I get an error message stating that my graphics driver does not support DirectX 9.0 even though the readme file says otherwise and to just ignore the message and play.  It just ain't happenin! Have sound, black screen.
I have located two updated drivers for my card, one from Dell and the other more recent version, from Nvidia and downloaded them both to my desktop. The problem is, I am terrified, to say the least, to go mucking about with things system related. I understand that old drivers must be removed and then there's booting in safe mode and possible black and white screens and I could see DOS!!!!!! Oh the humanity!!!!!
Where can I turn? What should I do? I'm sorry to be so computer inept, but Bill Gates made me do it. If anyone can help I would be grateful.
My system info:  Dell Dimension 4600, Intel Pentium 4 at 2.4GHz, 256MB DDR, 64MB GeForce4 MX w/AGP 8X, WindowsXP Home, 48X CD-rom, 4X DVD+R/RW Combo Drive.
Enough info?  
Thanks, Candy

Raptor

Re: Beyond Good & Evil....Just Evil!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 10:35:52 PM »
Same problem here. I use Windows XP, cannot get the game to work either. Just hangs on a black screen.

Candy

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 10:00:47 AM »
Raptor,
Thanks for your reply. At least I don't feel so alone.
Ubisoft has contacted me and needs more system info, I will forward to them and let you know if I receive a solution. Here's hoping!
Thanks,
Candy

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 02:22:03 PM »
uninstall directx>http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=522  what is happening is there maybe a conflict between your graphics card and directx....and they try to do the same job? it maybe some kida con but i have played loads of different games like the need for speed starwars and another 3d games without a problem and without the flash graphic cards...strange...anit...

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 02:33:54 PM »
That is because those games aren't Playstation ports. I believe Beyond Good & Evil is. And what good will uninstalling DirectX do? It would only make other games cease functioning properly as well.

Candy

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 08:14:34 AM »
The Ubisoft guys suggested I download the newest drivers from Nvidia (Forceware ver. 61.77) and not the outdated driver provided by Dell. I had already installed the game patch, and after installing the new drivers the game is operating smoothly.
Thanks for your replies. By the way, fun game and worth the hassle.
Thanks again,
Candy

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 10:16:35 AM »
You should always directly download drivers from the manufacturers website.