Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help, my computer keeps on shutting down.  (Read 7373 times)

1_question_guy

Help, my computer keeps on shutting down.
« on: August 25, 2006, 08:28:28 PM »
Im not sure if this is where this blongs, but here goes:

Every once in awhile my computer will shutdown by itself. My internet used to do it about evey 1 hour. Now, I have an emulator that I like to use. It will make the computer shut down in about 10-20 minutes. The thing is, the internet stopped making the computer shut down, but the emulator still causes it to go out. Do you know anyway I can stop this? If you are wondering, I use Windows XP and a 2001 Compaq computer.

P.S. When the somputer shuts down, only the tower will turn off. And I mean COMPLETELY turn off.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 08:32:11 PM by 1_question_guy »

1_question_guy

Re: Help, my computer keeps on shutting down.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 08:38:22 PM »
Oh, and there are NO known viruses on my computer. Ive found and deleted all. I've even done a factory restore, but the problem still persists.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 08:55:33 PM »
    How are your temps?
    Use Everest to check them.
    http://www.comcen.com.au/~fed/everest.zip
    Try taking the side off and directing a desk fan at your computer as a test.

1_question_guy

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 09:26:02 PM »
    I thought of that, but I never could open up my side. Under closer inspection a couple of minutes ago, Ilearned that I screwed it, then slid it. I always tryed to lift it :-/.

Well, I learned that the fan that was blowing air to the outside was covered in crap on the inside. I cleaned that off.

so far its passed the test:

playing a rom untill computer shuts down, if it doesn't within an hour, CONGRATS! It doesn't seem to have to work as hard either.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 09:53:28 PM »
      I hope it's fixed, let us know.  :)