Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Allowing Standard user on the AD to edit registry  (Read 11561 times)

speddie

Allowing Standard user on the AD to edit registry
« on: September 14, 2006, 12:12:59 AM »
Hi.

We have a Server environment here, runnnig Active Directory. One of our Legacy applications that we use writes to the HKLM section in the registry. Only standard users will use this application, and cannot write to the registry.

What is the easyest way to allow a group to write unrestricted to the registry. Im sure its in GPEdit.msc (Group policy editor) somewhere, but to be honest Im not 100% sure how to do it. Im from back in the days on Poledit.exe

Thanks In Advance

-Eddie

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Allowing Standard user on the AD to edit regis
    « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 10:48:02 AM »
    Is it Server 2003 or 2000?  Windows made some pretty significant changes from 00 to 03, especially in the GPO part of AD.

I just went to open up my evaluation version of 2003 server and it told me the time [180 days]had run out... :-[  So I need to reinstall it.

If you open it up it's pretty intuitive.  Actually, you have a boatload more options than Poledit EVER gave you.  It's fun  ;D...so have fun  ;D

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      « Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 12:22:20 PM »
      I'm reinstalling 2003 server now.

1. One of the first things do to (in the meantime) is create an OU (Organizational Unit) and put all the users that you want to be able to edit the registry in there.

2. Step 2 is on the way  ;D

You didn't say, is it 2000 or 2003 server?  :-?

Alan <><  :D
      « Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 12:22:48 PM by ale52 »
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      « Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 03:32:10 PM »
      What is the easyest way to allow a group to write unrestricted to the registry.
      You're joking, right?  If you're going to allow any kind of write access, it must be to a very limited portion of the registry.

Fire up registry editor (as a domain & local PC admin); find the subkey you're happy to allow access to; right-click; choose "permissions".
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

speddie

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 06:46:51 PM »
      Kool. Ill give those ideas a shot today.

Thanks for that.

Also its 2000 server. (standard not advanced)