Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unknown device in Windows 95  (Read 4269 times)

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
    Unknown device in Windows 95
    « on: September 15, 2006, 09:36:28 AM »
    I've got a problem in Windows 95.  There is an unknown device that it keeps detecting, and this device is using resources and conflicting with the Sound Blaster Legacy driver.  I'm able to disable and remove it, but when I do, Windows 95 always detects it at startup and wants to look for drivers for it.  I always click cancel to keep it from appearing in the device manager.  Also, the computer still hangs when I exit out of MS-DOS programs if they're full-screen.  For a while after my uncle re-installed Windows 95, it wouldn't do that as often, but now it does it all the time like it did before.  When the computer hangs, I can't even hit ctrl+alt+delete.  Should I try ctrl+esc?  The keyboard's numlock light stops responding, and capslock and scroll lock won't do anything.  This doesn't happen if I simply go into an MS-DOS window.

The only thing that I can say about this unknown device is that it is a remnant of the Yamaha OPL3-SA card.  There has got to be a way to get rid of everything related to that Yamaha card without having to format the computer and start over.  (I won't do that without backing up files I need, especially those needed for the CD-ROM as well as HIMEM.SYS.)  The Yamaha card was removed...  I cannot find any files related to it on the computer.  The only thing I can think of is a file called "autoexec.sa", but I doubt that's it.
    « Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 09:40:16 AM by DarthMaul »

GX1_Man

Re: Unknown device in Windows 95
    « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 05:33:29 PM »
    By chance is this a Packard Bell?

And by chance does the reinstall of Windows involve using their very own reinstallation CD as opposed to a real Windows one?

Details are important. Please post some.  ;)

Demache

Re: Unknown device in Windows 95
    « Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 08:11:38 PM »
    Instead of disabling AND removing it. Just disable it. Then Windows will just ignore it.  ;) I use Windows 95 so I do I have a bit of expierience.

EDIT: The unknown device I mean. Then restart your computer and see if that works.
    « Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 08:12:20 PM by Demache »