Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows xp freezes upon start-up  (Read 7515 times)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: windows xp freezes upon start-up
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 09:08:22 AM »
oh, before i forget, as the computer was booting up I saw something that said [highlight]battery low... [/highlight]could that have something to do with it?

Do you actually have your computer plugged into a battery backup unit, or UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), instead of a simple power strip?  The only other battery that message could be referring to would be the CMOS battery on your motherboard.  I'm not aware that computers display any kind of alert/message when it gets weak, but perhaps some systems will display such an alert.  But, Windows or other software will usually alert you when a UPS battery is getting weak.

Take a close look at your "surge protector".  Lift it.  If's a UPS, it will be much heavier than a surge protector or power strip, due to the battery inside.

As far as the CMOS battery is concerned: read this for some info: How To Install A CMOS Battery.  I'm not suggesting yet that you need to do this, but the article will help understand the CMOS Battery.

edit: I'll need a bunch of extension cords to plug the wires directly into the wall so I'll try it eventually but I don't have time tonight..
Keep in mind, that's just for testing.  You don't want to leave your computer unprotected from power surges.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    « Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 09:11:52 AM »
    my grandmas dell gave me that alert about the mobo battery when i didnt put it back in all the way to see what it would do. so how old is the computer??

my 01 gateway's mobo battery is still good so. maybe see if the mobo battery is fulling in its spot

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 09:26:29 AM »
    see if the mobo battery is [highlight]fulling in its spot[/highlight]
    You mean seated in it's slot, right?   ::)

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
      « Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 10:09:27 AM »
      yep sry

Raptor

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2006, 10:31:55 AM »
      Do you actually have your computer plugged into a battery backup unit, or UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), instead of a simple power strip?  The only other battery that message could be referring to would be the CMOS battery on your motherboard.  I'm not aware that computers display any kind of alert/message when it gets weak, but perhaps some systems will display such an alert.  But, Windows or other software will usually alert you when a UPS battery is getting weak.

I doubt an UPS would be able to display a message during BOOT.

If the system reports low battery, there is a 99% chance it is speaking of the CR2032 battery that powers the CMOS.