Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless Network Question  (Read 11925 times)

ajln4

Wireless Network Question
« on: October 06, 2006, 10:46:58 AM »
              I'm not very knowledgeable on the wireless network stuff....its all pretty new to me. I have a wireless router at home that connects the desktop to the laptops and its all working great but my question is: I will be traveling a bit for the next month and plan on taking my laptop with me....I cant always find a public network to use. Is there a way to install a service on my laptop that I can use anywhere? Someone mentioned to me a wireless network card that can be installed on it...but where does the service come from and what is the monthly cost?
         Any information will be greatly appreciated!
                            Thanks so much!

Raptor

Re: Wireless Network Question
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 01:36:51 PM »
Doesn't your laptop have a wireless card right now?

logging onto a wireless network doesn't cost you anything. There are other services that do cost money and can be used when no wireless network is around but those do cost money..

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 08:11:46 AM »
As Raptor says if you have a wireless card in that laptop you're all set...do some research about your destination to see where it's available.
Coffee Shops
Universities
Libraries.

Have Fun
patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 11:33:24 AM »
Logging onto a wireless network MAY come with a cost.  Here in the UK there are places (e.g. airports) where you can connect to the wireless service, but it's on a pay as you go basis.

Failing wireless, there's always a cellphone-style card which gives you truly mobile networking, pretty much wherever you are.  Don't know much about that in the U.S.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 11:37:32 AM »
I can pretty much connect anywhere in my city...we had a wireless iniative sponsored by Intel and working with CWRU...one of the hubs of the original web.

I like it ! !

patio.  8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "